very interesting microphone thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking this too:

The only place you are likely to see a "90 degrees phase shift point" is in an undamped system and there you would hear some terrible, very obvious, ringing. I think you are thinking about basic no-damping spring mass systems where "resonance frequency" is actually the "90 degrees phase shift" frequency

I also don't see how phase problems at 14KHz would cause a "tubby" midrange.

Interesting stuff.

What are your opinions?

I have no first hand knowledge of the microphones in that thread. But the Kelly Kay and Erik Sikkema posts in the thread appear to have good information about omni capsule tradeoffs.

It also made me think about the strange sound I hear in the GT33 and GT44 cardiod capsules I have.

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]Shouldn't that be 45° phase shift?

Samuel[/quote]

Just to complicate things, I thought it was when the stiffness and mass terms cancelled - ie. at 180 degrees out of phase. Oh well.

Gus, would the strange sound in the GT capsules not be the treble-resonator disk which they use?

[quote author="rodabod"]I was thinking this too:

The only place you are likely to see a "90 degrees phase shift point" is in an undamped system and there you would hear some terrible, very obvious, ringing. I think you are thinking about basic no-damping spring mass systems where "resonance frequency" is actually the "90 degrees phase shift" frequency

I also don't see how phase problems at 14KHz would cause a "tubby" midrange.

Interesting stuff.

What are your opinions?[/quote]

The classic resonator has 0 degrees phase shift at resonance. Either side of resonance approaches delta 90 degrees as you go up or down. You hit 45 degress at the 3 dB down points, about.

Latest posts

Back