Bad storms in south of England!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and saw "The Day After Tomorrow" a couple of days ago - pretty scary, I will never look at bad weather the same again. Hope your roof stays on. We had a storm on Sydney last year, and I was watching small boats being blown over the wall from the beach and up the road, all lit up by green arcs from power lines.

darnit yeah... we had two really bad storms here last week, Thursday and Friday... darkness an hour early and about 2" of rain... the road outside was flooded to a depth of 8-10 inches...

I saw a modified Corvette stranded (amongst the half-dozen or so older cars that I suspectewd would have wet, old ignition leads or something) and I later figured out what it probably was... if you put a cold-air intake (low, be4low-the-bumper intake) on a corvette then try and drive through standing water, apparently it kills the engine... like bends the connecting rods kills the engine!!! :shock:

Anyway, on the drive home I saw a lightning strike on a power line that took out a pole transformer... I mean instant explosion. -Sparks & molten metal shower that spread for about 100 feet in every direction... I was about 300 feet away at the time...

Looks like it's afternoon rainstorm time of year again!!! :grin:

-Thank goodness I put 4 new Dunlops on 2 weeks ago!!!

Keith

Was that the same one that killed tree people in Georgia?
A bunch of people were swimming or something, and lightening hit the lake.
:shock:

I used to live in the lightning capital of the world too (Florida). It still amazes me that the power plants there were FAR superior to the power plants in Wisconsin. My power NEVER went out in Florida, even with daily thunderstorms in the summer. The storms there were powerful on a daily basis...and there was no kicking the power plant's ass. Apparently they've spent gobs of cash on making them super resistant to lightening strikes.

Then I move back to Wisconsin, and the power goes out in the summer every time a lightening bug shows up in town. It sucks. We had bad storms last year, and the power was out for 15 hours, and 3 days in some places.

Damn weather, always getting in the way of recording... :evil:

All that said, I love a good thunder storm...especially when I'm going to sleep...ahh. No better yet, a good thunder storm, a nice New Castle beer, my wife, a rocking chair, and a well covered porch. That is the good life... :grin:

A big zapper came out of the sky one day, about twenty feet from my apartment.
I was in that "inbetween" stage of sleep, just starting to come awake but half way into the rem world when. kaBANG!
A big redwood outside my window got hit.
The whole room lit up like a christmas tree!
Woke my ass up in a hurry.
It split off a large part of the top of the tree and layed it in the parking lot.
Then water started coming out of the trunk, about 5 feet up!
I thought the lightening had boiled the water and now it was leaving the tree!
But it didn't stop.
Turns out there was a water main running directly under the tree and well, you can figure out the rest.
I took some video of this weird tree fountain!

Wonder if someone was trying to tell me something!

:guinness:

Hello Chaps,

Yes, Lightening and power stations are not a happy mix !

tell me about it - lost ST-7 in work last nightshift 132KV to 66KV supply transformer.

Just as i was in the middle of some DIY :twisted:

The works island system glitched, didn't seperate us from the rest of the works, and in turn, lost nearly every fuckin' alternator / turbine / boiler etc,etc.

anyway, Shit happens !!

Regards

Steve

Looks like the strange weather is circle around Scandinavia and the UK right now! Looks like we're stuck with it for a while!
Coldest presummer since 1928 here in Sweden!

Don't think I have to start the aircondition this summer! = more money for DIY! :wink:

Well, we can't compete with the storms in the Former Colonies thank God, but our weather people still describe them in biblical proportions! We just have a large bush down, which is not surprising since there is solid chalk from about 4"down.
Stephen

tree.jpg

Outside our local Garden Centre!
Stephen

Latest posts

Back