Transformers from Heaven! Or Brazil.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="CJ"]Winding voodoo? Maybe. Talk to John Hall. Or whoever did this work for Langevin.
The funny part about this layer is that it looked exactly the same on Coil B as it did on Coil A. We will never know why this was done. The winder who did this is long gone, no doubt.

langevin_raf_25.jpg

[/quote]

Reminds me of the grid of a 6K7 variable mu pentode shown in figure 4.31 on page 275 of Morgan Jones' "Valve Amplifiers" (3rd edition). The fine wire of the grid has intentional variation of pitch in the middle area, which is apparently what gives the tube the variable mu characteristic.

Probably has nothing to do with it, but reminds me of it nevertheless.

Thanks for the fine report, CJ!

-E.

[quote author="rafafredd"]Sorry, I just don´t get it... :? Sometimes I´m bad about jokes , specially in a forum, and in a foreign language :wink: But I´m trying. I hope I didn´t sound too unpolite in my last post.

Now, CJ, send me those fucking vintage units back now![/quote]

Don't worry about it things do get lost in the translation.

Now if CJ can put them back the way they were....and get them back to you.....that would be amazing!

:cool:

Jim

Now if CJ can put them back the way they were....and get them back to you.....that would be amazing!

Yes, it would. In fact, I sent him six of those trafos, so if I only could get one or two of them rewinded, that would be really amazing. But I don´t think CJ will have the time for doing this soon. There are many trafos in the line, I now, to get ripped, before he starts his VINTAGE TRANSFORMER REWINDING AND CLONING BUSINESS... :green:

Actually, I was able to tale apart the transformers on the first crack, so I still have five of the transformers you sent, Raf. I think you only sent me one input, but I will look around. So if you want the five outputs back, I can send them. You could dig the C-Cores out of them and have Lynx wind some outputs for you.

Larry, you have eagle eyes. That is indeed a 670 time constant chart. Amazing!

CJ, if you think you can ever use it for parts, just keep it.

I can buy very good new M4 C cores easily in Brazil, so I don´t think it would be worth getting it to Brazil again. Tear those apart and try to rewind some for yourself. Yeah! Make some DIY trafos and buid some Langevin amps and show it here in the forum. That would be cool. I´m telling you... those amps sounds great!

Yes, I do think I only sent you one input transformer, because the majority of those are still running OK. The outputs were the ones that got fried.

Did you got a closer look to that out trafo winding drawing I´ve sent you? Is it OK? Can I ask Lynx to do some trafos based on those?

Hey CJ. This is a work of art. I mean it... very beaultiful drawing!!!

Each primary of this output trafo reads 1015 ohms, or 1k015. Both primaries would be 2k030, for a rated impedance of 20k, so almost perfectly 10%. Makes sense...