amorris

console function wish list
« on: August 26, 2005, 11:51:41 AM »
I am getting ready to set up my master section of my console. I have a 5106 36 frame that I get to set up anyway I'd like and I was hoping you guys can give me some new ideas for master section. I/O will be pretty obvious, but most of the center switches I can change. for instance:

I like the solo functions on the SSL 9k- solo in front, alt, fleet, headphone different from control room, etc. so I will do something similar.

also, I will put in (buy) a good A-D AES  then to a real bad cd player D-A circuit so I can hear the worst case scenario, build a jiiter circuit, and also a loudness circuit to check the bass, ect..

but just in a drawing board sense, what could really be cool, and possible?

this is my DIY project for life, so go nuts!! I have the time.

thanks in advance guys!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 12:11:41 PM »
a large variety of monitor capabilities would be nice....you could place a spectrum analyzer and a phase meter in it...wouldnt that be cool!  :cool:

pucho812

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 12:55:52 PM »
A sum to mono and a  left side phase flip  button would be nice.  As well as a stereo EQ and stereo comp. Say something like a stereo solid state Pultec along side  a stereo comp. But switchable between monitor path and stereo buss path. That way I can listen and get an idea of how it will sound mastered or if I want be able to compress and EQ the stereo buss.
My 2 cents. :grin:

Oh and as a kicker paint it in day glow paint so when the lights go out you can still see what is going on. :green:
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »
a mute button would be cool too.

but whatever you do, dont put a "suck" button in it....  i think the stones had a button like that in the console they've used recently.

pucho812

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 04:33:38 PM »
don't forget the coffee button. :green:
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

jensenmann

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 05:03:57 PM »
Level trim for nearfield monitors is what I´m missing at my board. Better one more output for nearfields than you think is necessary.

and dont forget to built in a lighter and an ashtray...
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

pucho812

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »
this would be a pain to wire but stepped monitor pots for mains and nearfields. :thumb:

Kev

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 06:35:31 PM »
Mikkel's relay and seperate control board, look very good so far.
Kev
DIY Factory

amorris

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 12:49:31 PM »
stepped attenuator! cool!  actually, the thought of putting together a switch and resistor contraption would be a lot of fun! Im sure I would get over that before I finished!!

I saw a little about Mikkel's relay and control board. is there a website with all the info/ purchase? I thought about relays too! I had a relay switching gtr stomp box switcher that really made a difference. Im down!

amorris3

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 06:26:16 PM »
question: if I had a circuit that has a pot  and I just replace the pot with a stepped attenuator(switch/ resistor contraption), do I get the most benefits sonically, or should I configure it like a passive attenuator padding it down without the amplifier circuit of the pot based volume control system? I ask because i have a pcb control room monitor circuit that I could just switch the resistive element , or I could start from scratch  and put just a padding attenuator with no active components. does this make sense?