Disk Cutting Lathe - Neumann

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analoglyd

I would like some general info on the Neumann AM131 Disk Cutting Lathe. I´m looking to start learning cutting records, acetates and masters and got this Neumann AM131 lathe offered. I cannot seem to find any information on it and want to know of it is a mono lathe only? If any of you have any additional info I would greatly appreciate it.

Cool, I hope this turns into an interesting thread!

BTW, the lathe is only part of the disc-cutting setup. You need lathe, cutting electronics, and cutterhead and other bits, ideally including nitrogen and helium tanks. You need a stereo cutterhead, and stereo electronics to cut in stereo.

If you come across this gear, be really careful, as cutting lacqers can be an explosion hazard, and I'm not joking! make sure you use a vacuum system going into a water filled jar. (I got this tip from an ex-cutting engineer who told me a terrible story about this!)

see ya, from Steve

Paul Gold from http://www.vinylmastering.net is a regular here - username "gold" - IIRC, he has a Neumann system. Try looking up some of his posts

Jakob E.

Thanx, Ive been looking for some threads but its not really what I´m looking for. The Neumann AM131 I've been offered should be a complete working unit with pre/poweramps, cutterhead and everything. I´m a bit hesitant about purchasing it due to my lack of experience and lack of information. But maybe I should just go for it! Any advice or anything I should be taking into consideration.

Try looking through the Neumann infopool and messageboard - that company is notoriously good with support and information.

The system you've been offered - dosent that come with complete documentation? If not - Why the h*** not???

Jakob E.

Hey Jakob

Thanx for the info. I´ll try and check out Neumanns info etc.
By the way I've been looking at your designs for some months now. great work. Are you still making the SSL clones? Would really like to try some of your compressors out sometime!

Hi analoglyd,

Naa - the SSL-comps are diy-projects only- we only manufacture the tube units, the "Gyratec" series. They're not all that bad either.

But the clone is fairly easily built - lots of help around here.

If you really want a pre-built unit, you could try the Danfield 726 - based on the same design, but with different in/out circuits and added autofade function. Freddy "Danfield" Albrechtsen can be found at Sun Studio, Copenhagen.

Jakob E.

I see that Aage is selling the Gyratec II model now. Are there any plans of expanding the range for sale. for example the Gyratec X and Gyratec III.
By the way i tried Neumanns site and no info to be found. However I contacted the seller of the Neumann system and he´s sending me info and photos in the next couple of days. Hopefully things will be clearer by then. Maybe I´ll try and post some of the photos here for everybody to see.

Back