Couple of Quick Q's on SSL Clone + 9K Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommytones

Sorry if I'm being repetitious but I had no joy with the search thing.

1st, SSL clone, what resistor is added and where in order to modify the threshold range? (smaller range wanted)

2nd, 9k Pre, values for c63 & c85 are a complete mystery right now. Does anyone know what they should be?? Keith??

Many thanks as always!

Tom i got the info on the old site that C63 and C85 should be either 47n or 100n. But please wait for Keith to confirm this.

Flo

Quoting keith from an old thread:

Q: Could you give me the values for C74 and C47 (around IC30 and IC23)? Are they ceramic?
A: 3.3pF each. Ceramic is fine.

Q: What about Cx values?
A: 100nF or similar. It's just anti-oscillation and not always neded, but I always fit them for safety.

Q: I also cannot find C63 and C85 on the schematic...
A: C63 and C85 are in fact Cx... the numbers are from the original SSL schematic. Cx is my personal way of noting that a cap is for local decoupling...

He also told me C63 an C85 should be film caps.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Alright, thanks guys. What about the SSL threshold bit. I remember reading about it several times but of course I can't find it anywhere :roll:

Hi Tom,

what i did to make the threshold a little less sensitive is this:
in series with the bottom leg of the threshold potmeter i connected a 82K resistor.. this takes off the senstiveness but it still functions ok..

Hope it helps!

Remco

Thanks Remco. How much does this reduce the range by? Is it a clean half or more or less...??? I guess I can play with a few different values and measure what's going on.

never really got to measuring..

I put in some values and experimented with it if it still worked..
It definatly still usable only it takes off of the lower part of the threshold... think it's now around -10 instead of -20..

but just try it out..

Latest posts

Back