Looking for diagram for H & H VX150 Mos Fet amplifier.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our whole studio is run on H&H amps. V200 and V800...they may have been modded by Ben Duncan though... :twisted:

Rob: Will see if I can find the V150, but MAJ are pretty good blokes!

chef

LOTS of mods to the power supply, and improvements to the RFI rejection. Unfortunately I'm not really at liberty to divulge specifics as it's all Ben's intelectual property... :sad:
Sorry

chef

Ahhhh!!! -Not the dreaded S-500"DC"!!!

The V-series were all Mosfet, unless memory fails me. They weren't really all that bad, but a little light in the loafers at the bottom end, under certain load impedances. Not a bad amp at all on the whole. Roger Quested used to re-badge them and use them for his systems, modified slightly. We had a set up at Amazon when it was still in Kirkby.

The S500D however... They were bipolar outputs. I had to repair more of those farrgin' things that failed full-on-DC-output and just fried anything that they were connected to!!! They had a romping-good bottom end though! (and a rather cool electroflourescent front panel.. T4's, anyone?)

I still have nightmares about S-500D's. Don't connect them to anything you value.. or be prepared to put up with "I toldd you so" posts!!! :shock:

Keith

Actually James, they are a really imrpessive sounding amplifier. Very strong, very firm and 'old-school', but prime candidates for a DC-sensing relay disconnect!!!

Whenever one of those TO3 transistors in the "wind-tunnel" goes collector-emitter short, they put out the full, unregulated rail voltage (what is it... 70V or something?) into the poor speaker...

If you could run it through a fast automatic DC-sensing disconnect, then they will indeed make a decent monitor amp though...

Keith

Keith,

Well, the positive is good to hear. I just aquired this amp a few weeks ago and have not had the time to muck with it.

The manual suggests inserting a 1.6A in-series with the load (monitors are 100W @ 8ohm). Would this protect against a transistor failure at all?

- james

I'd have to do the math but 70V into 8Ω should produce about 9A...

A fuse tends to reduce the effective damping factor, specially as it warms up at higher powers... right when you need it... whereas a good relay *should* be more transparent.

In the absence of a relay, a fuse would enable me to sleep in my bed at night. -Switch the power amp off when not in use and for goodness' sake, make sure that the 'wind-tunnels' are clean and not caked in dust if the amp is new to you... If the heatsink can't efficiently cool the devices, they can go into thermal runaway and it all goes pear-shaped and very wobbly.

Keith

Back