super dumb question someone else probably already answerred

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reguarding microphone input padding and phase...

Since dc is directly applied to most pad and phase switches (via phantom) should these switches be located post x-former or blocking caps in most mic pre designs so as to avoid problems as the switches corrode?

[quote author="neverlistentome"]Since dc is directly applied to most pad and phase switches[/quote]

We had a discussion not too long ago about why polarity switches shouldn't go at the input... Do a search.

Peace,
Al.

generally doing this type of thing on the front end is not a problem. as long as 48v is equally applied to each pin of the xlr and each side of the pads etc. no current will flow through the pad. I always read about people doing the polarity on the output side of things so i've always done that...so not exactly sure what the reasoning/argument is ...other than your dealing with volts instead of millivolts on the output. so perhaps less loss or interference. I'll do a search myself and see.

operating level it is! ...among a couple of other minor details. this is the same reason i think people that insist on running microphones through patchbays are nuts.

cheers :guinness:

joe

huh. does it really make things that much more convienient? do you typically see xlr patch panels in such an install? adc? those adc's are crazy expensive. i think i could sell my car and buy, like...one of them.

maybe. :wink:

Latest posts

Back