symetrix 528

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

I have a 528 with scratchy pods...
wouldn't mind getting a clone of this as it sounds really "vintage" and the EQ is very sweet (SSLish in a way)

Anyone has a servicemanual/schematic for sharing?
i think the one i have was build in 1986, not sure tough

[quote author="tony dB"]I have a 528 with scratchy pods...
wouldn't mind getting a clone of this as it sounds really "vintage" and the EQ is very sweet (SSLish in a way)

Anyone has a servicemanual/schematic for sharing?
i think the one i have was build in 1986, not sure tough[/quote]

Send me e-mail I ll send you schematic

Ah, and, but,
as i remember the 528 uses a SSM 2015 in the input stage, a good sounding but discontinued chip. This will be hard to get for a clone, dont know if there is a proper replacement.

Florian

interesting... changing the SSM 2215 will alter the sound of course.

This makes it less interesting to clone to me as it's is this typical sound i find myself using very often to (over)drive vocal before compression.

Any guru here who are capable of finding out the topology/caracter of this beast? the 528 i mean :wink:

Are you sure your version uses the SSM chip? There are two schemos there...one has the SSM chip, the other is a diff pair and a NJM2068 for the mic pre. The compressor components are different as well. That one seems to be pretty clone-able, but I would think you could pick either of these up used for less than you can clone it.

HTH
Charlie

There were 2 versions, the 528 & the 528E.

I have a 528 in my studio that is never switched on. It has a SSM mic pre chip, I thought a 2017. It was one of the last ones made (528 not 528E).

I found the EQ fairly neutral but not as nice as the Focusrong or Calrec DIY units we have here. The compressor uses an EGC 101 VCA & another in the de-esser. The compressor was not subtle, but quite nice for the type of work I do, v/o work for TV commercials.

I seem to have out grown it, the separate units I use work better.

The 525 compressor was one of my favourite boxes, a bit noisy but VERY punchy.

Peter

If we're going to call out favorite Symetrix boxes, the 501 is my favorite. I have two. One of which I modded with OPA2134 OAs and made some cap values a little larger to get flatter freq response on the low end. It uses the 2150, and I think it sounds pretty good. I bought mine for very cheap, but these go on ebay for less than $100 most of the time. Its like a poor man's dbx160. :thumb:

Peace!
Charlie

Back