Thread pitch/size on AKG 451 EB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

Does anyone have any specs on the thread pitch/size for the removable capsules on the older AKG 451 EB? I cant seem to find any info on that.

Thanks,
Chris

Aah yes, I agree.. Would be a great set of information to have - but we need to have this measured/specified by someone with genuine mechanical skills - as I'm pretty sure none of the companies would care to share the details (after all, this info could only be used to extend their products beyond a single-company monopoly).

We'd probably need to ask someone like Badger to make the specifications..

A truely usefull mechanical gadget would be a set of conversion threads between these standards :razz:

I'd like to ask for the B&K capsule threads to be included..

Jakob E.

The reason that I originally asked is because I bought a couple of Blue lollipop heads designed for the AKG 451 a few months back and want to mount them on some DIY mics. I took some measurements and the body diameter is definitely 5/8". I only had 5 threads to count, but my measurements came out to about 75 threads per inch. From poking around the web, I have found some precision parts listed at 5/8"-80, which is probably what this really is. The next problem would be to find these tap/dies or to find a machinist with these tap/dies. The "very fine" standard for 5/8" is 27 TPI!

You need to turn those on a lathe - taps and dies for those threads are almost impossible to get. It is a trivial matter on a lathe provided that either you have a lathe with metric leadscrews, or a 127 tooth gear if you have imperial leadscrews. The C460, by the way, is 18mm by 0.3mm, from what I remember.

Back