Wow JLM 99V! ...."MP3 Sound file added"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks for the comments, I'll get the other channel built and fit the side covers to the case, and then I'll have a think about putting another 2 preamps in there. Thanks Bluzzi for the mention of the other preamp kits jlm does. I'm just wondering if another 2 jlm99's with different transformers and chips would really sound that much different?
I think next on the cards may be an LA2a I've been thinking of doing for a while, I've another vibration tester case :wink:
Thanks again
Vikki(uk) :grin:

I used OEP (mic input) transformers in my JLM99 pre, but for me they do sound also pretty transparent (I have nothing to compare with them though, I used OEP & JML99V successfully with overheads, and I don't have output tx's). Maybe it's the output transformer that has more effect to the sound? If I had space for two more pre's in my case I would consider either or both JLM1290 or forthcoming JLM TG (don't know if these will ever be made but there was picture of a prototype somewhere) pres in case of JLM products, or maybe a pair of Green pres (transformerless). Lundahls for sure are one of the best (most transparent at least) transformers available.

Who needs DriveH when you've got eisenaudio. Using my (free) 'freshftp' client and thanks to Jens emails I've managed to upload the MP3 to the eisenaudio link - the file is labelled JLM99.mp3 and appears to be 2.4mb - thanks Jens, nice directory by the way....

http://www.eisenaudio.com/thelab/jlm99.mp3

Hopefully there's a sound file in there.

Just playing around with the jlm99v and my Akg C451b these were recorded in bit of a hab dash fashion but it was fun to just try it out and post it here. I used a Beyer TGX 580 dynamic mic for the voice over bits also running into the JLM. All files were recorded flat with no eq and there's a bit of reverb on the "Bits And Bobs" file. M audio 2496 sound card, I don't have some of the top end gear some of you guys have as I'm newish to the recording and diy thing!

I'm still in awe of this amazing product, still experimenting with its capabilities. I can't get over how clear the recording is. It was well worth the blood, sweat and tears and the rapidly lowering bank balance.

A nice speedy parts service from Australia to UK as well - with no added hassles - thanks Joe!

Vikki (UK)

Thanks Vikki for the great comments, professional guitar picking and audio file :grin:

If I had space for two more pre's in my case I would consider either or both JLM1290 or forthcoming JLM TG (don't know if these will ever be made but there was picture of a prototype somewhere) pres in case of JLM products

The 1290 kit has just been released the last couple of weeks on the web site and is doing well. We have front panels with 1290 on them to match now as well.
Also a general Dual front panel for racking pairs of anything with GO Betweens and DI Kits.

JLMfronts.jpg

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMmicro1290.htm

But the TG is only available fully built at the moment and is not even on the web site until we fill the large back orders we have for for the prebuilt ones. Still don't know if this will make the kit format yet.

Here are a couple of photo's of a the JLM 1290 & TG stereo pairs being used to record the guitars and bass for the new Dallas Crane album at Jonathan Burnside Studio in Melbourne.

1290%20pre-amp.jpg

TG%20pre-amp.jpg

Thanks Everyone for all the great support :grin:

alo
jesus,vikki.
almost had a heart failure when i heard your plaiyng.you`re good,very very good.albert lee comes to mind.yes i`m still out of breath.
from now on,put a warning on your mp3`s:"not for the weck(?) of heart".
please gimme lessons on line.
that picking,how do you that?
i won`t grab my guitar for a week.
vikki,you`re the man.
opps
the,"woman".
best regards
pedro
ps:99v,it`s a dream.
if somebody has a doubt,listen to this recordings.

Yes louder, you need that preamp to play as fast. I should propably change the OEP's to Lundahls to speed up my picking.

The most tedious thing in buiding this pre was propably the stripping, soldering and connecting of the wires - I mean there are so many of them. I almost lost my hope. Next time I'll build a wireless mic pre :grin:
- and use Lundahls (or Joe's transformers).

[quote author="Viitalahde"]And no spamming of any kind, no big mouths.[/quote]
You've got to be kidding me! If not spam or running of the mouth, then what do you call that post on the previous page? Shameless self-promotion? Joe is the only commercial manufacturer to consistently promote his wares on The Lab, and NOT in the Black Market where such posts belong. :mad:

Excuse me, but that seems like a hard line. This is such a pleasent place. Myself, I'm just glad to hear about these great projects and how to do them. I have 4 of Peter's channels to build, and look to build a lot more when I can. I'm such a newbie and so stupid, I thought from looking around that the lab was for projects and the Blackmarket was for parts and units for sale. I don't mean to step on anybodys' toes, but hoof, how are we to know of this stuff if we can't follow it here? I wish I had a bot that would spit out everything I'm interested in everyday when I get on line, but that's not happening yet, (and I would disconnect from the matrix if it happened) so the fewer places I have to search each day, the less time it takes. If you have something to build, tell about it, here...I only look on the Black market now and then when I have a lot of time to burn. This forum has such a sweet disposition, I would hate to see it change.
mrc

what do you call that post on the previous page?
Uhh...someone asked a question and Joe answered it? He gave us a peek at some other stuff too, but I wouldn't call it spamming. He did not start a new thread. He merely jumped into a conversation that was already about his products.

Its not as though Joe comes here to only promote his products, either. There is a lot of DIY info on his site and he has been a regular contributor here.

Joe is the only commercial manufacturer...
Then you've missed some BIG names who have posted here answering questions (promoting as you call it) about their products. Among them are:

George Massenburg
Fred Forssell
John Hardy
Dan Kennedy

And this list is by no means complete. They have all been very helpful, polite and willing to share their knowledge for free. Do a search and see if these guys are promoting or sharing.

My "opinion" is that Joe is being a really nice guy to offer us PCBs and such at very reasonable prices. I doubt he is making much profit (if any!) from GDIY purchases.

Seems I remember there was one guy who started a thread about his own products a while back and he got run off pretty quickly.

Hope that's helpful!
Charlie

joe was a contributor and friend to this group long ago well before he had his current offerings, Id cut him some slack. Beyond that his designs are incredibly good sounding, the 99v has to be the coolest thing to happen to pro audio in a billion years. He's one of the very few here walking the walk, so to speak.

dave

Okay, I will defend myself before too many others start steering this nice thread off topic. Let's not start a war people...

First off, I think JLM is one of the top 3 or 5 coolest audio companies on earth, I know that there are few others who support DIY so eagarly, and I'm rarely bothered by Joe posting about products on The Lab. What did bother me was Viitalahde's statement, because it is so far from the truth that I could not ignore it. I know there are many other commerical guys who post here and will mention their own products, but I said CONSISTENTLY, so do not quote me out of context please! Joe is consistently posting on The Lab, the non-commerical section of these forums, about his for-profit products and rarely responds to anything else. I interpret this as advertising. Regardless of how much you may like reading about his products, you can't deny that this goes against guidelines and could be considered a form of spam.

Joe is a good guy... He posted about his 1290 and 99v because it was mentioned in the thread! and the TG... i've never heard of the TG but im sure it'll be great!

I've read numerous threads where Joe has given circuit input...

He doesn't start inappropriate threads, and he hasn't dropped a negative word about anything or anyone (unlike some other manufacturers :? )

Joe is certianly a friend to of DIY!

Whats wrong with a manufacturer chiming in when someone mentioned it in a thread... a thread that is also entirely about JLM products :wink:

Joe's products remove some of the more tedious parts fo DIY like power supplies, the three "P's" (phantom, phase and pad) and those new front panels look great! I hate metalwork...

I can understand getting rid of posters like Violet mics, etc because they only build complete gear... but Joe and JLM audio are genuine friends of this place...

Also, what you don't see is Joe's help off the board via email/pm.

Joe has been most gracious to me in terms of time and knowledge via email and has helped with plenty of topics here. How many have received technical help from Hand Crafted or JZ?

Joe's products are made to make our lifes easier not for ridiculous profit. I still haven't bought from him either but I'm going to...soon. They make DIY a better world for sure.

Please don't piss Joe off, we do NOT want people like him to get dis-illusioned with this place. He's an asset.

-Tom

Guys,

Lets call this thread to an end. Joe is a great guy, he knows that, I know,
that we ALL know that. The post that started this flame war was one person?s
opinion, we all think otherwise, so lets get back to talking about these
great pres and gear! I for one don?t own any, but they are on my most wanted
list.

Cheers

Matt

Back