Wow JLM 99V! ...."MP3 Sound file added"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FH,

No war intended, dude...

matta,

You are right! I never intended to enter any "combat" situation here...!

I need to get busy with building my dual JLM99V pre. Thanks again to all who have shared their experience with this pre.

I have my PCBs and two 99Vs and the JLM 1:4 input and the JLM output trafos. He didn't come out with the front panel until after I had purchased. (actually mine was a bday present from my wife after a hint or two :green:) I have to get a front panel now!

Hearing Vikki's samples makes me want to get this one done more. And makes me want to chop all my guitars into little bitty pieces.

Now back to yer DIY!!

Peace to all!
Charlie

Speaking of flames. I went to a bachelor party a couple weeks ago. My newly divorced friend got a lap-dance, or face dance. (no need to split pubic hairs over specifics.) He's been complaining that his face feels like it's on fire. Which I find amusing because there was a $20 bill on his mouth. She picked up the bill without using her hands. Ewwww. I only use credit cards now.

BTW. The 99V is going to be tested on some voice over talents today. Every voice, mic and preamp work together differently. But it will be a nice baseline for me. It's going to be tried against a Focusrite Red 7, Manley Vox Box, Presonus M-80, and my Melcor box.

When I figure out a pseudo-scientific approach, I'll track it, and perhaps I'll put it up on our FTP.

Wow Vikki, great playing and lovely sound! Whens the album coming out?

Believe it or not I only just got a 99V of my own, after a year of building em for other people :)

Im using the Lundahl 1578 on 1:10 and a single 99V with 1:1:1 output xform. I christened it by recording a harpist in my kitchen last night. I was pretty pleased with the results.
:grin:

Heres a little sample:
http://www.musiqforpleasure.com/sharism/harp.mp3

Mics were a CMV551 (with mod switched on) +M7 up close into the 99V pre and a Rode Classic II distant in fig8 into a TG pre.

M

[quote author="mattmoogus"] .... and a Rode Classic II distant in fig8 into a TG pre. [/quote]
hey Matt, Hi !
... where have you been ?
didn't know you have a Classic II too

but more importantly

Where's MY TG .... :shock:
I want one. :sad:

[quote author="Kev"][quote author="mattmoogus"] .... and a Rode Classic II distant in fig8 into a TG pre. [/quote]
hey Matt, Hi !
... where have you been ?
didn't know you have a Classic II too

but more importantly

Where's MY TG .... :shock:
I want one. :sad:[/quote]

Joes been keeping me locked under the stairs :razz:

Yeah I got my Classic II at a pawn shop for a grand. Good value I reckon.

Were only doing fully built TGs at the moment, you can have one of those any time you like ;-) They are pretty spesh, thats for sure.

M

Thanks everyone, just returned home this morning after a busy week not had much chance to see the net. Thanks for the replies and yep the preamp still works great, gave it a quick try a couple of hours ago. I was just wondering about the possibility of using one of the JLM opamps as an on board or strap mounted acoustic guitar preamp fed via a multicore cable?

I like the harp recordings great sound, the last time I heard a harp played was in the Opryland hotel in Nashville about 12 years ago.

Just looking for a good vocal mic at the moment undecided what to get?

Thanks for the comments on the playing, it's easy to play fast, playing slow with feeling is the real pain. Anyone want any ideas on this type of playing drop me a PM I might be able to help.

Vikki(uk) :thumb:

[quote author="Vikki"]Thanks everyone, just returned home this morning after a busy week not had much chance to see the net. Thanks for the replies and yep the preamp still works great, gave it a quick try a couple of hours ago. I was just wondering about the possibility of using one of the JLM opamps as an on board or strap mounted acoustic guitar preamp fed via a multicore cable?[/quote]

Wow that would be a first...I wonder how youd get power to it...

I like the harp recordings great sound, the last time I heard a harp played was in the Opryland hotel in Nashville about 12 years ago.

Thanks!

CMV551/563! Sounds great on female vocals...and accoustic guitar.

M

[quote author="Vikki"]I was just wondering about the possibility of using one of the JLM opamps as a... guitar preamp?[/quote]
How about a DI that sits on the floor? Powering is easier that way and you won't have to have a special cable to the Gtr...

the last time I heard a harp played was in the Opryland hotel in Nashville about 12 years ago.
I forget the guy's name now, but it was a Liberace type production with a BIG PA tied in with the computer-controlled dancing waters (light and lasers). How do I know? My mom still lives about ten minutes from the hotel. I was there about 2 months ago. The whole harp stage/PA is all gone and they have changed that area of the hotel a bit too.

Recording or live?

Peace!
Charlie

Hi
Thanks for the info on the Opry hotel, everything changes i guess as time moves on, it was quite spectacular at the time.
Re the guitar preamp i was pondering about this yesterday maybe the best bet is two add a couple of fet preamps at the guitar, i think i'm losing a bit of signal in the 20foot cable as the pickups sbt and sunrise magnetic are not buffered at the guitar and then add a dual floor mount preamp.
Its a large diameter condensor mic i.m looking for, i was thinking of trying one of those ADK Hamburg ones but i,m not sure they will be that good, i.ve tried my vocals through the sd AKG C451b and it doesn't work too badly but i think the large diameter may be a better bet, perhaps best to save up a few more pennies and buy a better quality ldc.
Vikki(uk) :thumb:

[quote author="Vikki"]...perhaps best to save up a few more pennies and buy a better quality ldc.[/quote]

I am not one to talk about saving money. But that's my vote. Wait to buy something that will hold its value and continue to impress you over the years. Cheap mics are great to get you going, they teach you about everything you don't want in a microphone. Sure most of my mics were less than $200 and I use them with pride. But you should do right by that JLM preamp. Make it happy. Sell your car then buy a mic and motor scooter. :green:

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Wow Vikki, great playing and lovely sound!

M[/quote]

I agree - that's really cool! Good sound, great playing.

Even though I came to the .MP3 after reading everyone's comments I still was blown away when you started picking.

:cool:

:grin: Q.

Thank you for all the private messages and mail I will be responding over the next few days.

Ok my new mic arrived this morning. I decided to go with a budget mic to get me started and bought the ADK Vienna at £145. It arrived at lunch time to day, I know its only a Chinese job but after reading all the hype I was curious. I'm using synth, acoustic and strat guitar each track recorded through the JLM 99v into Sonar 2.2 all effects are in built in Sonar except the Calrec eq clone which was used to eq the mic :roll:. It has been exported as mono to create the mp3.

http://www.eisenaudio.com/thelab/sing1.mp3

The song is a tribute to our bands soundman who died suddenly last month from an asthma attack, RIP John.

Vikki(uk) :oops:

[quote author="Vikki"]The song is a tribute to our bands soundman who died suddenly last month from an asthma attack, RIP John.[/quote]

arrrgh ouch .... asthma

Australia has quite a prevalence of asthma and I know a few people that do suffer

this is really bad news
:sad:

Matt,
get some daylight occasionally
you guys will hear from me soon ... ish

Back