BA283AV problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

Hi all,

I have a BA283 that's drawing too much current (300mA) and oscillating at 75kHz, I think. R7 is getting very hot and scorching the board. I swapped out the 2N3055 and it didn't help. As far as I can tell, the other components on the board seem to be good. All I can think of to do is to start swapping out other components until I get the one that's bad. I think I have enough good polypropylene caps around to replace most of the polystyrene caps, and I have some BC107 transistors I can use to replace the BC184Cs, or some of them, anyway. It doesn't seem very efficient, and I wonder if I'll change the sound by changing the caps. Anyone have any ideas?

Here is a pdf of the schematic:

http://sethglassman.com/BA283AV.pdf

BTW, mine is a filled 283, not the half-filled one in the docs.

Thanks

:sad: :?

do you happen to have another one that you can compare voltages with, to see where things are going awry?

ju

Is this a DIY unit or an old module that you are racking?
Is the input jack shorted when you are testing?
Is there a load on the output transformer?
Does it do it at all gain settings?
Play around with termination resistors on the output trans.
Get a .1 cap at 50 v and hook one end to a pieceof wire.
Ground the wire to the chassis and go around with the cap and just start putting it on various locations.
I wouldn't swap out components until you found the ones that are related to the problem.
good luck!

:guinness:

I found the problem, thanks to Joe Malone. I just needed to tweak the trim pot so the bad card drew the correct current. Live and learn. I'm afraid that wasn't obvious to me. They run pretty good now - listening tests tomorrow.

Thanks Jon and Chris. I love this place.

:guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam:

The total current draw is about 230 mA, and the home brew psu is working happily and quietly!

Thanks, Keith.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

> The total current draw is about 230 mA,

It is hard to see how that amp wants more than 100mA-150mA, or 5-6 volts across the 47 ohm resistor. At 230mA you waste almost half the supply voltage in the resistor.

I like to run things rich, but there is enough degeneration in this stage that 100mA or 300mA in the 2N3055 will work the same.

> I just needed to tweak the trim pot ...that wasn't obvious to me.

283.gif

OK, they talk about TR1 without explaining that the bias flows through to TR3.

If I remember it right a half filled BA283 with correct bias adjustment is around 90-95mA, 80mA through the prim windings!
How much current can the LO1166 handle?

Latest posts

Back