Screw me Neve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fum

Hey there,

whats the screw threading on the 31267 traffo? I'm short four and have been through my drawer :grin:

It's not a 4-40, is it a 4-32?

Regards

ju

If it's from the U.K., it's got to be metric, eh?

Secondly, I find it hard to believe that one could not obtain metric cheesehead screws in the U.S. but apparently I can find no one online in the U.S. that carries such, so this may be true unfortunately...

I was wondering the same thing meself.

I've just tried a Marinair 31267 & a 3mm bolt is too large, 2,5mm is too small.

Took a bolt from an old Marinair & it fitted a newish St Ives 31267/VT22671 fine.

The Marinair's must have been Imperial sizes coming from that era.

Cant tell you the diameter of the shaft unfortunately, we are very metricized here in S.A.

Peter

[quote author="fazeka"]If it's from the U.K., it's got to be metric, eh?[/quote]

A lot of equipment from the 70's and a fair amount from 80's use non-metric threads.

The metric system is an interntalional (worldwide) standard. I'm sure you stopped using inches, miles, gallons and pounds a long time ago, right? :wink:

It's BA series thread (British Association). You can run a 4-40 tap through it, if can't find the right screws. Or drill/tap 3mm.

Crusty is right. It's a unique British threading standard from the 70's, now discontinued. But apparently some screws are still available in the UK from that standard, though no longer being made. This is the whole reason "cheesheads" (a term which predates Packer's fans headwear) are mentioned so frequently in Neve circles, because they fit the Neve parts of that era while no other screw/threading works as well. But you can adapt, and for just a few or a couple revolutions other thread standards can suffice...

I've been meaning to look into sourcing a large quantity of NOS BA screws and make them available in small quantities here... Would be easier for somone in the UK.

I haven't checked the new, current Carnhills to see what threads they are using. Would guess it should be metric now. Anyone know?

cheers,
t

[quote author="fazeka"]If it's from the U.K., it's got to be metric, eh?[/quote]
Dude... you have no idea how many British threads there are!

Apart from the Metric threads (which only became widely adopted in the UK as the 1980's approached... remember Britain WASN'T at all Metric until 1974, which wad the official beginning of the adoption if the Metric system, and many manufacturers who were still making product which had to be compatible with pre-metric introduction couldn't therefore just switch suddenly.

Whitworth, also known as BSW and a Fine (BSF) were common threads in addition to the SAE (American) standards, which were only really taken up in the Uk after World War II and the sharing of production between the UK and the USA highlighted the need for some further shared standardisation.

Here's some info:
http://www.enginehistory.org/BSFasteners/BSReference_3.pdf

Keith

I have a canrhill from 2002 and a Marinair from approx 1970. Both use the same screws. I checked out a brand new A*MS-N*eve 1073 and it appeared to be using cheese heads throughout, just like the original. A tech told me he has to order cheese heads from the UK and makes sure to save all the extras that come out of trashed modules.

[EDIT] And I should mention that in all of the N*eve modules I've taken apart every single screw (except the hex bolts securing the front panel) appeared to be BA thread, even the the large diameter ones.

john the fine folks at Tacoma Screw told me it was 4-56 or 4-52 and some custom order stuff. i at one time before had a box of 100 screws in my trunk so you'd have to mid my old 86 buick la sabre and start pulling up carpet to find the remainding 80 or so or just call tacoma screw Wil

Wilebee

I see we are finally geeting to the neve project you can make 4-40's work or a nice dollup of E6000 wwill hold that sucka

You see how he baits me? Wil ruthlessly drops this project on me(back when I was in my DIY infancy), and leaves me on the fence regarding the screws. :green: I'll likely retap the holes with a 4-40

1272.jpg

Regards

ju

yeah and you should have seen your big you eyes got Jon!

I'm soooooo bad I should be in dentention

Wilebee

[quote author="Family Hoof"]I have a canrhill from 2002 and a Marinair from approx 1970. Both use the same screws. [/quote]

Amazing. Why would they hold onto that standard? This means those screws may still be made in the UK? And we all need to find a few loose screws... Jon, tell us how the tapping goes.

cheers,
t

Yes, someone in the U.K. is making them. If I remember I will ask who next time the oppurtunity presents itself. I've seen no indication that Carnhill or AMS are going to stop using these rare fastners. Just another reason to stop messing with N*eve stuff, if you ask me... at least until someone else starts making input transformers that are as close as the Carnhill for less $.

went fine, except for the really old one. so if you've got a good shot at the hole, the tapping with a 4-40 will be fine.

Me, I broke the effin tap off in one of the holes trying to get it out(it was really stuck on the shroud metal). :evil: That one is now 5 minute epoxied to the case :twisted:

Torroid mounted, traffos mounted. Time to build the attenuators and wire them up ( I'm headed for Atlanta tomorrow, so this won't get done till after I'm back). These ones are getting the JLM hotrod mod. We'll see how they turn out =)

Regards

ju

Latest posts

Back