¿Melf/smd resistors shortage?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi All!

Today i was  making budgets for an audio project, and when looking for 1% melf 0204 resistors, many values in all suppliers ( farnell, mouser, RS) seem to be in shortage... ??? Many suppliers will have stock in MAY or even December 2018!!! :eek: :eek:

It seems this is caused because the demand in car industry....now cars feature a lot of electronic gadgets, even the asssited direction is electric...navigators, internet...  sensors... etc...10k resistor multiplied by.......¿how many million cars...? i don't remember the figure right now... ;D.... so what? now whe have to plan purchases a year in advance...!!

Any comment is wellcome!

JAY X

0204 are tiny a__ parts...  Last design I did I used quad resistors, that were easier to see, cheaper to buy, and cheaper to place . You can buy x8 resistors but they are harder to route neatly.

BTW when doing my outlet tester design, I observed that small SMD resistors had trouble with high voltage.

JR

Hi!

Melf 0204 is size equivalent to 1206 chip resistors. I try melf because is the equivalent to thruhole resistors. SSL, NEVE, use them also. But due to actual shortage in melf resitors and other passives, it is worth to try 1206 1% thin film.

jay x

I misunderstood the sizing on the melf.

On the plus side your assembly person will like you a lot better now that you are using parts that don't roll away.

Hi!

The assembly person...it's me!
I know where those melfs roll... ;D

Jay x

JAY X said:
Hi!

Melf 0204 is size equivalent to 1206 chip resistors. I try melf because is the equivalent to thruhole resistors. SSL, NEVE, use them also. But due to actual shortage in melf resitors and other passives, it is worth to try 1206 1% thin film.

jay x
Sorry 1206 is relatively large for smd.... 

Back last century I saw a PCB full of 0204 resistors and they looked like tiny specs of dirt.  ;D

JR

Back