1:1 splitter trannies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3groover

The Jensen's are something like $60 a pop. Anyone use the Cinemags? Any other suggestions? I just need to make an 8 channel splitter for live recording work.

Thanks!

Keep an eye out for an old Sescom splitter. I'm sure they turn up used from time to time. I know they made an 8-channel model, because we have one at work. Sescom isn't a "sexy" brand, so I'm sure they sell cheaply enough when they do turn up.

ms_17.jpg

I was wondering the same thing...

I need a mic splitter for making preamp comparisions using the same mic and source.

> I need a mic splitter for making preamp comparisions using the same mic and source.

Then you are adding the splitter-sound to the whole mess.

Just make a Y-cable, no fancy stuff. Disconnect the Phantom on one of the peramps so the mike won't get hot.

Transformer splits are often essential when you have a monitor PA board, a house PA board, and a recording board, some of them transformerless, all fed from different legs of a funky cow-palace electrical supply.

It really should not be a problem to just Y-connect two preamps fed on the same power and feeding the same monitoring system all in one studio.

Some small problems (not solved by most splitters): the mike sees a lower impedance and may sound different. The two mike inputs can interact: FET and tube preamps probably won't but two good BJT inputs will inject noise current and increase total noise level, and a really bad BJT could inject distortion or odd impedance curves.

[quote author="PRR"]...Then you are adding the splitter-sound to the whole mess...[/quote]Yeah, i wondered about that. Wasn't sure how "transparent" the Jensen would be.

[quote author="PRR"]...Just make a Y-cable, no fancy stuff. Disconnect the Phantom on one of the peramps so the mike won't get hot... It really should not be a problem to just Y-connect two preamps fed on the same power and feeding the same monitoring system all in one studio...[/quote]Good advice -thanks!

At first I was afraid a "Y" connection might cause a small ground loop between the two units, but on second thought it really doesn't matter since I'm only comparing them and not doing any serious recording in this configuration.

You could throw a 5532 opamp buffer in there also. More transparent than a transformer, and would keep the parallel impedances from dragging down the mike.

Back