"1-to-1" summing to mono

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonallenh

Dumb question, but the search didn't answer this one for me-

In a passive monitor control, I am adding a mono switch to sum the output to mono. There will be two balanced connection for input L/R, and two balanced L/R for output (one to each active speaker).  This strikes me as different than the Rane note 109 info because two connections are not being summed down to one connector. As such, do I still need attenuation resistors? I'm not clear on what the standard is when you're not really summing, but simply going to mono.

jasonallenh said:
Dumb question, but the search didn't answer this one for me-

In a passive monitor control, I am adding a mono switch to sum the output to mono. There will be two balanced connection for input L/R, and two balanced L/R for output (one to each active speaker).  This strikes me as different than the Rane note 109 info because two connections are not being summed down to one connector. As such, do I still need attenuation resistors? I'm not clear on what the standard is when you're not really summing, but simply going to mono.
You need the build-out resistors so when you short Left and Right together they don't fight each other and release any magic smoke.

JR 

JR

Latest posts

Back