1176 Modern Parts List

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayvnDarkwing

Has anyone made a cross reference for replacement IC's and other components that are not available or obsolete...
Naturally I am referring to the GYRAF parts list. The boards can still be bought at Analog Classics.

BTW - I live in ORLANDO FLORIDA - and will source as much as I can from SKYCRAFT
www.skycraftsurplus.com

So if anyone wants me to look out for something please let me know

G!

And I have zero idea of what BOM is supposedly including obsolete parts and I have no time to spend time seeking the "Gyraf" list. Post a link so we can all see what the problem is.

Bri

Can you point out what are the components in the BOM that are not available or obsolete?
I will make a list - from the BOM of what I have not been able to find... I think someone else may have found sources that I was unaware off for the BOM. Ay other sources are of course a welcome sight...

And I have zero idea of what BOM is supposedly including obsolete parts and I have no time to spend time seeking the "Gyraf" list. Post a link so we can all see what the problem is.

Bri
I will post my research results - as to what parts of the BOM that I am having difficulty finding...

The Gyraf 1176 version was made at the time with parts that we’re commonly available and easy to find. Of course it was already maybe 17 years ago, so that plus the present day electronic component shortage might make some specific components hard to find. But all the parts will have an easy substitute or replacement.

Let’s us know what you have difficult with and we can help you out

Bear in mind that the Gyraf 1176 was one of the most popular projects in this forum so there’s for sure many members here with a big leftovers stock for that project

I have an unfinished dual 1176 build and one thing that bothers me is that I had to bend and cross pins on transistors because the footprint on the PCB was for some obsolete pinout. I'm not sure if those were the FETs that this unit revolves around or if they serve some other function. These are the BD135 / BD136 and are "output transformers". My mild OCD wants to pull these and replace them with units that actually fit.

Last edited:
I have an unfinished dual 1176 build and one thing that bothers me is that I had to bend and cross pins on transistors because the footprint on the PCB was for some obsolete pinout.

Bending and crossing pins is no big deal in DIY, it's part of the adventure, electronic wise is the same, so if it works wells it's fine don't stress about it.

Is the footprint for an older Pinout of the BD135/136?
I was a not aware that the BD135/136 had different pinouts over the years, I never had that problem with those transistors before and I used them in many builds

I recently built a couple and all parts are available at Mouser. If it helps here is Mousers part numbers for the actives.
610-BC107B
610-2N5087
512-BD13516S
512-BD13616S
610-2N5457
512-FDH333
512-1N4740ATR
863-MC7824CTG
595-NE5532AP
595-TL071CP

Is the footprint for an older Pinout of the BD135/136?
I was a not aware that the BD135/136 had different pinouts over the years, I never had that problem with those transistors before and I used them in many builds
Nope, the boards were designed for BD517/518 and those have a different pinout than the BD135/136. I know it will work fine, it just looks odd. :)

What PCB did you use for the project? Did you self etch yourself?

Is that Mnats PCB, the one most people was using was prepared for both BD517/518 or BD135/136 without the need to twist pins. This is the PCB I used when I built this project

Check it here:

http://mnats.net/1176_boards.html
"
The Revision J (my own lettering system) boards also incorporate all the following features from the earlier revisions:

• The ability to mount several different output transistors. All that is required to fit the original Gyraf specified BD517/518 transistors is to add two small wire jumpers to the board. The common replacement transistors BD135/136 or BD139/140 can be used without the jumpers. No need to twist leads and use shrink tubing to use either transistor pair on my boards
"

I recently built a couple and all parts are available at Mouser. If it helps here is Mousers part numbers for the actives.
610-BC107B
610-2N5087
512-BD13516S
512-BD13616S
610-2N5457
512-FDH333
512-1N4740ATR
863-MC7824CTG
595-NE5532AP
595-TL071CP
I should have pointed out that i layed out my own boards so gave mind to footprint orientation for substituted parts during the process

What PCB did you use for the project? Did you self etch yourself?
I have Gyraf version 7 boards. I know of the existence of the Mnats boards but I have the Gyraf boards (almost?) completely populated already. I might still opt for Mnats boards though, as I believe those have the stereo linking option on the PCB, whereas with the Gyraf boards I will need to source a separate board for that.

I never had or seen a Gyraf board. I did my 1176 a long time ago, maybe in 2009 but it was already with the Mnats PCB, I remember it was easy and fun to do.

This was before Mnats did the RevA and RevD boards, which are pretty good also

Latest posts

Back