12AT7 Phase splitter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikaeel

Hello!
I understand tubes/valves are not ideal. But, my experience is beyond this problem.
The following splitter I calculated has near unity gain amplification ratio.

1727634858836.png

The only problem is that the amplitudes of the signals do not match:

1727634983230.png
Lower half:

1727635042607.png

I know it's a noob question, but is there any way to minimise these differences?

This is because the two output impedances are different and the loads are too heavy. Change both loads (R8 and R5) from 10K to 100K and see what happens.

Cheers

Ian

Change both loads (R8 and R5) from 10K to 100K and see what happens.
Unfortunately not helps:

1727636599503.png

Only the DC component on outputs raises:
1727637239553.png

Notice in Merlin's explanation, the gain equation assumes that the load impedance is >> the product of uZ (mu times the anode/cathode impedances), however you have a 10k load which means the gain will be impacted.
I'f understand it right, I'll be unable to have 10k output impedance...
If my calculations are correct, with Ra and Rk = 50k , Zout-anode=8.33kΩ and Zout-cathode= 819.6 ohm....
I ommited the additional 400 ohms but the difference raises too:

1727638194092.png

Some of this may be simulation artefacts. I notice the waveforms are not symmetric which they should be if capacitor coupled. Can you post the .asc file

Cheers

Ian

OK, I realise now that your plate and cathode resistors of 50K and your load resistors are 10K. This is the sorce of the problem and increasing the loads to 50K will not help much. But increasing them to 470K does pretty much fix the problem.

I also changed your trans sim to 50mS duration and 1uS step size as this give a much more readable display. I attach the modified .asc file (with a .txt extension). If you run the trans sim and plot V(out+) + V(out-) you get a plot of the difference between the two waveforms. I get about 80uV which seems close enough to me.

Cheers

ian

Attachments

• PhaseInverter.txt
    3.6 KB

Latest posts

Back