1537 VCA hungarian compressor, worth the trouble ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delamancha

Hi folks !

I just found two pieces of 1537 vca based Beag modules (name is Kbe113). They were in a broadcast console, but I did not have the opportunity to try them out yet, so I would like to ask about your opinion.
I upload the schematics and some pictures.
What do you think about it ? As I remember the 1537 is out of production long time ago.
Just lookin' at the schemo do you think they are usable as a channel / fx  compressor in a hybrid daw setup, if I hook them up with some psu and cables ?
As I see all the other semiconductors are TI manufactured instead of the east german RFT types, written in the Bom.
Opinions about the circuit ?

Here are the pics :
beagkbe113front.jpg

beagkbe113side.jpg

beagkompsch1.jpg

beagkbe113sch.jpg

beagkompBOM1.jpg

Sorry for the shitty quality of the big schemo pic, I cannot make it better w/o a scanner I think...

Thanks
delamancha

The trick without a scanner is to pin the schematic to a door in daylight. Your camera needs to be on a steady surface like a chair, so position the circuit low enough on the door, and line the camera up. This should result in a sharp picture. The side chain circuits are always worth seeing.

So, I updated the gallery with a much more readable schematic of th KBE113M module.

Here it is >

beagkbe113schBIG.jpg

Any thougts about it is welcome.
Thanks.

These are nicely made. Typical Teutonic broadcast quality.
Two thoughts:
The 1537 is not available anymore, but in case one fails, it is not completely impossible to replace it with a THAT 2180.
These broadcast compressors are not designed for a sound, they are designed for a function. Very often they can sound too sterile.

I have quite a few NOS 1537A vca chips
for anybody needing them ,
please help me send the kids to school ,
or at least buy a cup of coffee

10.00 each

you should definitely hook them up to power and signal just to see how they sound.  Can't hurt, shouldn't take too long and if the build quality is anything to go by they will definitely be useable though not necessarily your best pieces.

M

It sounds good. I use it when recording. Somewhat reminiscent of the VС-76. But I can not take a balanced exit from it. And further! Help me connect EMK-126! I have a loud noise at the output. I can not take it out. He has only 1 output contact. Where to get 2 more?

It would definately be worth spending some time with....The non linear control charectoristic of the VCA produces a nice soft knee, which I like...you may not :)  Ben Duncan provides some interesting stuff in the third part of his VCA review in Studio Sound  https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Studio-Sound/80s/Studio-Sound-1989-08.pdfP59....

My Compellor is so old that it uses the Aphex/VCA Associates chip

From a quick look at the schematic, it probably won't be too subtle but you can always 'improve' it...there is plenty of room for tinkering!
Have fun
tc

Back