1604 Inspired Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a soBer Newt

Hello All,

Working on a API 1604 inspired console restoration. Looking for some pointers or ideas on how to overall chassis design, mainly how you would go about mounting the channel strips and the back plane PCBs. All the 325 cards are already in card cages. Here is where I am at so far Fusion 360 File.

Thanks!

Attachments

• API1604 Side Tem v7.png
    API1604 Side Tem v7.png
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • API1604 Side Tem v7_1.png
    API1604 Side Tem v7_1.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 2
I'd increase the space beyond what you think you need for every card edge that gets near a frame edge. For example:
s7d2AX1.png

Been thinking about using some T-Slotted extrusion as the bones of the frame, and getting aluminum plates cut from sendcutsend for the cheeks.

Here's is some of the latest design.

Attachments

• API1604 Side Tem v13.png
    API1604 Side Tem v13.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Channle strip Drawing v1.jpg
    Channle strip Drawing v1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
Ah, yeah. Too bad. Perhaps reduce faceplate width but still use 19' length and some of the available rack hardware, casings.

I love T-slot framing. I get it from 80/20.net. T-slot framing is all they do. They will cut to length. They have online design tools. They will also do custom machining.

Luckily I have a Tormach 770 so I can do some of the machining in house, good to know that 80/20 will to precut that will definitely save time, and the screeching chop saw noises.

Is it easy to join T-slot framing at arbitrary angles? For a mixer frame you may need a specific angle.
For the long runs I am thinking about tapping the ends of 1" T rail with 1/4-20 and bolt that to the aluminum sides and angle brackets into the sides aswell. Then I can get thinner sheet metal bent that can act as a cover facia.

Attachments

• API1604 Side Tem v14_2.png
    API1604 Side Tem v14_2.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Check out the 10 series as well as the 15 series. The 15 series is 1.5” square. The 10 series is 1” square. 15 series is probably overkill for a mixer frame. The 10 series is much less money because it’s much less material.

What are you trying to do? I did a lot of stuff with Frank. Converting thumbwheel switches? The old Sunset Sound studio one console belonged to me for a few years (Tbone just sold it for 500K..) and I did some things to it.

Paul, I really like the modular bucket concept of the Fix console. Have you considered open sourcing the modular concept? Maybe it doesn't make sense for something like a mixer, but I'm thinking about how the 500 series backplane got adopted and seemed to be a win win for both API and end users.

What are you trying to do? I did a lot of stuff with Frank. Converting thumbwheel switches? The old Sunset Sound studio one console belonged to me for a few years (Tbone just sold it for 500K..) and I did some things to it.
We wanted to add some features, individual P48, the ability to change the EQs position, direct outs along with the 16 busses. Also it being a quad didn't seem useful for the clients use case. Instead of drilling holes in the original panels and destroying its history I pitched the idea of making a new frame and channel strips but use all of the original electronics.

I think of it like a ship of theseus.

Latest posts

Back