1959 Electronics Magazine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing. 50 Watts gets you a quarter million miles of transmission.

Benefits of transmitting in a vacuum, I guess! The old pirate radio “X” stations that sat across the Texas/Mexico border needed 50,000 - 100,000 watts to reach the southern half of the US.

And it just looks retro-cool

I am not a tube guy but that seems small for 50W...

I recall may dad's old Western Electric 10W vacuum tube cutting amp that filled a 19" rack 4 feet tall or more.  I guess tube technology really advanced between 30s and 50s...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
....that seems small....

Radio oscillators are generally much smaller than audio amplifiers. Distortion, size of coils and caps.

That looks like a 6146, which sure is able to pump 50W RF near 100MHz if you don't hold the key down all day.

In space, tube ratings can be cheated a little because total run time is limited by battery.

That unit does not include power supply, much of your Dad's rack.

Moon-scan would be a point-to-point service. Large directional antenna at transmitter, HUGE antenna at receiver, which is is a low-noise area. Broadcast goes all ways. Transmitter has some small directivity, receivers use the cheapest antenna possible, and listeners sit between spark-engine cars, power-lines, and the neon lights at the tavern.

Back