2023 agriculture efforts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built most of an ugly but functional two bin compost enclosure. Used a bunch of old 2x6 fence boards I'd saved when removing some 400' of ugly old 25 year old "decorative" 3-rail fencing. Corner posts are 4x4 offcuts from porch and deck rebuild last fall.

Need to make the center divider, line it with tar paper, and maybe fab a wire gate to keep some of the critters out. It (thankfully and purposefully) is not visible from the house.

1000018559.jpg

Now that most of the salvaged lumber is out of the way I can reassemble my refurbished old disc harrow (two row 18" disc). I'm behind on garden prep again.

Today I managed to spray my pecan trees with dormant oil (neem oil), first time in two years. This is a little late (trees are already pushing out leaves, but no pollen catkins yet).

1712438186970.png

The 4 wheel cart was much easier to move around the yard than the old wheel barrow. I replaced the corroded battery cable, added a cut off valve (that I didn't need because nothing broke or leaked today).

JR

A couple of days ago I innoculated six gum logs with oyster mushroom plugs. Today I did three more with a different strain of shiitake than last year. Will finish three more tomorrow and stack.1000018663.jpg

Bought a Fuji and a Granny Smith apple. Will plant in the next few days. Had to cover my blueberries (and azaleas) last night and again tonight because of late frosts.

Over the years I have lost two granny smith trees and one peach tree that I planted in the same section of my yard. I should take the hint and leave that area treeless. :cry: I am optimistic but not enough to plant more fruit trees. I have several that I planted still alive and growing taller (one peach, two plums, and one Johnathan Apple). I may get my first peaches this year, there were lots of blossoms.
===
Last spring a late frost wiped out my fig tree down to its roots, but it bounced back, making way too many upshoots. I got about 5 viable cuttings from all those upshoots. Over the winter I planted three of those cuttings and one is already making leaves this spring. Oddly the parent fig tree is still dormant this spring.
====
I tried grafting branches from some of my superior pecan trees located in my far back yard. So far none of the grafts are showing life, but I shotgunned a bunch of them so I remain hopeful that I might get one or two successful grafts.

JR

Back