22mm capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The takstar cm60 is 21m X 0.5 threads, I think, and it fit the k105 beautifully. For the k40, I was only comfortable trying it on 3 mics, where it will stay on the third for a while. The fit isn’t perfect, but it threaded on tightly and makes a tight fit with the body. This is better than I have experienced with some 603s factory fits.View attachment 104818
Here it sits on Banzai A:
I wonder if the AK50 or the KM185 capsule would fit too.

That sounds rad!
Full mic?
Just something like AKG Ck4 without a capsule would be very useful too.
something like that, not sure how i want to implement it. some sort of "universal capsule platform" system. not sure if i want to adopt an existing open platform like the bayonet or do something custom. i'd prefer it be compatible with something that exists.

Badaax tk130 is a starting point available from alctron, as you are likely aware. The basics are there, but could certainly be improved.
Converting from that size to the good ol 451eb would be really lovely as well.
I can send you either body to use for test.
I do not have any of the bayonet mics, maybe one day.

something like that, not sure how i want to implement it. some sort of "universal capsule platform" system. not sure if i want to adopt an existing open platform like the bayonet or do something custom. i'd prefer it be compatible with something that exists.
Unfortunately the old Gefell MV691/692 seem to be the only modular mic bodies which supply +/-60V for multipattern options.

Unfortunately the old Gefell MV691/692 seem to be the only modular mic bodies which supply +/-60V for multipattern options.
Cardioid only at 40-60V is fine with me, but my intended close mic use cases might not be the same as everyone else’s. Omni lovers in this thread are likely to already lean towards SDC. Figure 8 lovers out there will likely already have a favorite transducer that isn’t 34mm wide. In case fig 8 is all about the null in a loud environment, isolated backplates with 40V is probably adequate.

Edited to more precisely advocate a threading I already own…

Last edited:

The Nady response curve looks ideal on a lot of levels. Exaggerated highs would be really easy to tame (with a simple high shelf, or paired with a circuit with built-in de-epmphasis).

Just confirming, these measurements are all using the same body? (Just curious if Nady's body has any impact of it's own)

Thanks for all of this. It's really great stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, these were taken on the Takstar body.
I don’t have a working body for the nady, as its stuck in the middle of a frankentube conversion that needs troubleshooting.
Same old nosecone and vents.

not sure how i want to implement it. some sort of "universal capsule platform" system.

Hmmm ... Wild Alex Guess No. 29387 -- Could you borrow an idea from camera lens filters, and produce a set of matching step-up and step-down adapters to mate the capsule threads with the body threads?

Just thinking aloud ... James

Hmmm ... Wild Alex Guess No. 29387 -- Could you borrow an idea from camera lens filters, and produce a set of matching step-up and step-down adapters to mate the capsule threads with the body threads?

Just thinking aloud ... James
That would be very cool! My mechanical engineering skills need a serious upgrade. There are half a dozen unfinished mic projects that don’t have a practical screening solution or robust way to connect capsule to makeshift body tube.
I have a personal soft spot for the akg 451 theading. 22mm is cool too

Last edited:
half a dozen unfinished mic projects that don’t have a practical screening solution or robust way to connect capsule to makeshift body tube.

Um ... doesn't anyone use Duct Tape Technology any more? Personally, I am a big fan of self-amalgamating rubber tape - just stretch it and and wrap it, and it bonds and molds itself completely around the subject.

Just spitballing ... Move along Johnny, nothing serious to see here. Anonymous :)

@kingkorg covered this one last week in this thread:
Its another 22mm capsule available in brass from ALiExpress.

I bought a few, picked out a pair, tucked them away and haven't had an occasion to use in a serious way yet. I forgot to post the graphs for anyone who finds that stuff useful.
My graphs don't really reveal any new info, just gives an idea of the consistency.

fake 105 set.png

Im tempted to try to add a mylar ring from another capsule to try to tame the mid freq rise. Most likely the factory tried that though.

Back