3U making DIY SDC capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make a km84 for warm. Interesting to see them start to sell SDC capsules for DIY. I had the pleasure of taking apart one of their M7 capsules recently and they don't take any shortcuts on that, I thought he might have invented something to make it easier to mass produce but he didn't, they really are just making a whole ass m7 in china. Machined capacitance and everything. 3u is a monster in the affordable quality space and it's been fun to try and come up with a competitive product at a reasonable price over the last year

Nice but there doesn't seem to be much difference between his sdc capsules and Røde's. Still wrong type of backplate, and usually too high tension of the diaphragm limiting low end.

I'd love to find a capsule to replace the Maiku SDC in the Bonsai KM84 build. The capsules I got are not matched close enough and the off axis sound is very bass heavy. Someone had said in another thread that a 3U capsule would work, but from what I have read, the capsule does not fit on the Bonsai body.

No idea qhat they'll cost, but it's probably a better purchase to get their CM100 SDC, but they might end up being cheaper than what's sold at Microphone-Parts.
They make a km84 for warm. Interesting to see them start to sell SDC capsules for DIY. I had the pleasure of taking apart one of their M7 capsules recently and they don't take any shortcuts on that, I thought he might have invented something to make it easier to mass produce but he didn't, they really are just making a whole ass m7 in china. Machined capacitance and everything. 3u is a monster in the affordable quality space and it's been fun to try and come up with a competitive product at a reasonable price over the last year
I haven't heard anything about it in a while but was told back in 2021 they'd be working on a CK12 capsule too. That might've been pushed to this year or next, haven't asked about it since June 2020

I'd love to find a capsule to replace the Maiku SDC in the Bonsai KM84 build. The capsules I got are not matched close enough and the off axis sound is very bass heavy. Someone had said in another thread that a 3U capsule would work, but from what I have read, the capsule does not fit on the Bonsai body.
my 3u capsule fits the Bonsai body.

I suppose the biggest problem is to create the 'correct' backplate pattern on a CNC lathe.

Well, it's not like you can drill the backplate on a lathe anyway. Or technically you can, on a 4-jaw universal, but you'd need to reposition each backplate for each hole.

So why not on a CNC milling machine? Trivial to make slots with a end-mill...

Well, it's not like you can drill the backplate on a lathe anyway. Or technically you can, on a 4-jaw universal, but you'd need to reposition each backplate for each hole.

So why not on a CNC milling machine? Trivial to make slots with a end-mill...
Most Chinese capsules aren't milled, they are drilled. Shocking I know! It surprised me.

It's hard to get good depth precision with a mill at high speed, but if you have a standard drill press and you have a lock that physically stops the drill from going lower, suddenly your holes are all perfect! Perfect for making capsules. Not so great for changing anything about a capsule once the design is locked in, or something like this. That's why people don't just outsource existing capsule designs to China willy nilly. It takes a bit to refactor the equipment to do a new design.

Last edited:
They make a km84 for warm. Interesting to see them start to sell SDC capsules for DIY. I had the pleasure of taking apart one of their M7 capsules recently and they don't take any shortcuts on that, I thought he might have invented something to make it easier to mass produce but he didn't, they really are just making a whole ass m7 in china. Machined capacitance and everything. 3u is a monster in the affordable quality space and it's been fun to try and come up with a competitive product at a reasonable price over the last Iear
Interesting. On a different note, has anybody compared his M7 to the Thiersch M7?

Oh, this is interesting. I heard about this company for the first time the other day when I was exploring capsule options for the Graeme KM84 MXL board swap SDC's I am going to build, so I emailed them. I got this reply today:

-------------------------------

Hi Ricardus,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Two series SDC capsules will be available in early October. The price would be USD89 each, plus shipping. For matched pairs, no surcharge.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Your sincerely,

Guosheng Zhuang

--------------------------------

So he's making two different models with different contact lengths? Which one is the correct one for the MXL 603 body? Anyone know?

Also, I saw someone mention the Warm Audio capsules. Will they fit on the MXL body?

Latest posts

Back