48v phantom power splicing...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robkay

I have a very simple pre-amp I built which sounds satisfyingly better than the ones on my hand held recorder with an sm58. However I'd like to plug in a capacitor mic that needs 48v phantom power. Rather than building/buying another box to power the mic I wondered is it possible to just splice terminals 2 and 3 from the handheld recorder's xlr input (which can provide phantom power) into the lead that plugs the mic to the preamp - thereby supplying the power.

So essentially I'd have:
Mic xlr 2 -> Rec xlr 2 -> preamp xlr 2
Mic xlr 3 -> Rec xlr 3 -> preamp xlr 3
Mic xlr 1 -> preamp xlr 1

Then the preamp goes to a non-powered jack input on the recorder as normal.

Is this a stupid idea?:) Would I need to connect pin 1 on the Recorder's input also? Would I risk blowing my beloved diy preamp?

I actually have an atrocious sounding capacitor mic I built to test it on if need be but I was hoping someone here could tell me if the setup is fundamentally wrong or a bad idea?

In theory you could insert electrolytic caps between the mic and the handheld recorder inputs and then you could run 48V through two 6.8K resistors to each of the mic inputs. But if you screw up, you could fry the inputs of your handheld recorder. And there are probably details to be careful about like protection diodes. And generating a really quiet 48V is not trivial. And you can buy a phantom power supply that does exactly what you want for $20 USD.

In theory you could insert electrolytic caps between the mic and the handheld recorder inputs and then you could run 48V through two 6.8K resistors to each of the mic inputs. But if you screw up, you could fry the inputs of your handheld recorder. And there are probably details to be careful about like protection diodes. And generating a really quiet 48V is not trivial. And you can buy a phantom power supply that does exactly what you want for $20 USD.
Thankyou for saving me from myself:)

Latest posts

Back