500 series base unit CAD PCB layout (VPR compliant, not-51x)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azet

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a generalized version of 500 VPR compliant PCB CAD files for a base board (including measurements, pins, distances between them etc.)
It would also be useful to have a basic daughterboard CAD for e.g. knobs or displays - but I can do that by myself as well.

I'm pretty sure there has to be something open out there, I've found various people blogging on prototyping and building DIY 500 units from breadboard to PCB but never found any source files. As someone coming from the open source (FOSS) world it's a bit difficult for me to get into designing my own modules.

Would someone be nice and point me to appropriate resources? with that many DIY 500 kits out there I'm sure there has to be CAD files around, not only schematics and 2d renderings.

I'll also take 51x CAD but will probably not work on them any time soon. They might help though.

Thanks so much,
Aaron

In easyeda there are a few user shared parts for this. These have the board outline, pins already drawed, and you can easily use that to draw your own pcb's.

That's great. I've used easyEDA before although I'm starting to switch to other CAD software. Do you have a link to a specific design or library? There's so many user projects and in my experience the search is quite badly implemented. You never seem to find what you need except in the parts library. But there many footprints are wrong, even official ones - I once had to re upload new Gerber's and BOM due to the footprint looking like the correct connector in easyEDA but turns out it had 37 instead of 25 pins. They shipped these parts unsoldered with the assembled PCBs. No idea what to do with them as they're no where used in audio. Footprint was for a dsub25 connector. But the vendor apparently mixed it up with dsub37 it something like it.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
That's great. I've used easyEDA before although I'm starting to switch to other CAD software. Do you have a link to a specific design or library? There's so many user projects and in my experience the search is quite implemented.

Thanks a lot!
Sure, start a project, open the library and then type in API500_FULLCARD for example. The one with that exact name is a good one IME, or API500166x148 is also nice, because there's one with that name with seperate pins in the schematic.

Sure, start a project, open the library and then type in API500_FULLCARD for example. The one with that exact name is a good one IME, or API500166x148 is also nice, because there's one with that name with seperate pins in the schematic.
awesome thanks will check it out after work!

Where did you find those exactly? I'm looking everywhere in easyeda, shared projects, open source hardware lab (this community thing attached to easyeda). Can't find any schematic, PCB etc. under either name.

Thanks for your help!

Where did you find those exactly? I'm looking everywhere in easyeda, shared projects, open source hardware lab (this community thing attached to easyeda). Can't find any schematic, PCB etc. under either name.

Thanks for your help!
Oh, sorry, it's not a project, but a component. So start a project, and insert those components in the schematics.

Back