500 series edge pins question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

¿is there any problem in using both sides of the 500 series edge connector of pins 5 and 13 for ground? or better just use one side (top or bottom)?

Jay x

Personally I'd use both sides for all pins, as there are a small number of racks out there that only use the connections on one side of the socket - and it's not always the same side.

Case in point: the Lindell Audio's 77x500 didn't work in a Fredenstein Bento 6, as the rack connections were on the opposite side of the module's pins!

Hi Twenty Trees!,

Ok. So using both side of the pins, there is no risk of any kind of loop? Ground loop, current loop...etc..

Jay x.

Hi Jay!

If both sides of the PCB pin and both sides of the connector are connected then I guess that would constitute a tiny loop, but would it matter in a well-shielded rack? I don't know enough to say. It's a good question.

If you're designing a board that will only ever be used in one rack, then you can design accordingly. For what it's worth, I see that API and CAPI only plate the solder-side of the edge connector - whereas RND and SSL seem to plate both sides.

Andy

Latest posts

Back