500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've emailed Don Classics twice in the last few months as wanted two of these kits plus an extra Omeg pot as one of the pots has failed on one I have already. Have never received a reply, are they still in business?

Did the pot fail mechanically? If it is not working that is really strange and I'd say very unlikely to be the pot. Have you measured the resistances to see if it functions as expected.
Is Don still in business? I tried contacting him twice regarding shipping and vat costs from the UK ( after brexit) and he hasn't responded

Yes he is still in business. He has been away after getting married and finishing a degree. I spoke to him today I'll get him to check his junk mail!

Anyone know why I am getting two different sweeps on the left and right units when they both are in bypass? Phase should not be and issue as the sound is coming out of the same channel on my interface I just patch it to the left unit or to the right unit. Should all frequency’s be turned fully to the left even in bypass? Really don’t like that 5db drop over the course of the spectrum either. Would work on getting them calibrated to the same curve first then hopefully figure out the 5db drop. I have my calibrated sound card file also loaded in REW and that was pretty flat untill 15k or so.

Attachments

• BEAE02FF-5419-4105-A550-143E40C875EB.jpeg
    BEAE02FF-5419-4105-A550-143E40C875EB.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 0
Anyone know why I am getting two different sweeps on the left and right units when they both are in bypass?
No, we don't but it sure is not normal. Actually both channels seem defective.
Should all frequency’s be turned fully to the left even in bypass?
No, their position should be undetermined. The role of the bypass switch is to compare any combination with flat signal.
Really don’t like that 5db drop over the course of the spectrum either.
I wouldn't either.
Would work on getting them calibrated to the same curve first then hopefully figure out the 5db drop.
This kind of anomaly goes further than calibration. there is something definitely wrong in this unit (both channels).

No, we don't but it sure is not normal. Actually both channels seem defective.
That’s what I was thinking too. Well at least I am consistsnt at messing up my builds, lol.

No, their position should be undetermined. The role of the bypass switch is to compare any combination with flat signal.
ok just wanted to double check, if it’s in bypass there should be no effect on the signal at all Passing through it.

I wouldn't either.

This kind of anomaly goes further than calibration. there is something definitely wrong in this unit (both channels).
Thanks for verification abbey on my thinkings, it was late at night and I thought I was seeing things, lol. Will try to investigate more and possibly email Don and see if he has any ideas.

Hello,
Sorry about all the confusion but I did some more frequency sweeps today and everything looks great now. Not sure what I was doing wrong (was probably up Too late) but when bypassed and when on both units are functioning great and no issues with the frequency response today.

It happens quite often.
Objects and appliances are facetious. Like tools - you put them there, and 5 seconds later they are not in sight. Only once you have ceased looking for them, they suddenly reappear.
Your build has played tricks on you.
Fortunately they seldom do it while you're recoring a million-dollar session. :)

I finished my equalizers. Packed in 2u rack case. The sound is amazing, very transparent, tasty, smooth, very happy with the sound. Many thanks to David for making such a project publicly available.

I compared opa134 and DOA. Opa134 is more detailed and crisp, a bit cold. DOA is nicer, warmer, it smooths the sound nicely, but the detail blurs a bit, making the sound more natural. As a result, I left DOA and went along the path C. If you need greater clarity, then it is better to leave opa134. In any case, both options are simply gorgeous.

I wonder if it is possible to replace tl071, and NE5534 with OPA134, and does that make sense? Has anyone already tried it?

Also, my left and right channels are a little out of balance at about 0.4db, is this normal? I can adjust the same balance either on the equalizer or on the bypass.

Ideally, I would like to add an output volume control) Can anyone know where to insert it in the circuit?

And once again many thanks to David) He is a very nice guy, he helped me answer my questions.

In general, the project is not complicated and worth it
This looks so cool- how did you build the PCBs into a rack? Did you do the front plate and silk screen yourself? And how did you manage the power supply? I would like to build this EQ again like you did, with a fatter power supply like on the 5x1 series, only without a 500 series rack.

This looks so cool- how did you build the PCBs into a rack? Did you do the front plate and silk screen yourself? And how did you manage the power supply? I would like to build this EQ again like you did, with a fatter power supply like on the 5x1 series, only without a 500 series rack.
I'm planning to put mine into a 24v case too. If you get yours working, can you share what psu you used?

Latest posts

Back