51X / VPR Stereo Test Adapter / Stereo Racking Modul / NOW REVA.2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

White Market Member
Hi Friends

New Version of the Board available

it started with putting a lot of 51x and VPR modules together, but my main problem was to test these at home and not in the studio. So I designed long ago a self etched Test Adapter that worked ok for a lot of task with mono modules. But now calibrating stereo ones or matching two monos i thought to design a stereo adapter and go a bit further. Of course this adapter works also really good just for mono Modules

check White Market Thread
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=76303.0
ubagx64u.jpg

img_8698p8ky0.jpg

img_8689bekw1.jpg

In the lab i use mostly my power supply with 4mm Hirschmann / banana stuff for fast testing and interconnections.  thats why i wanted to have 4mm connectors on it. to help all others i added 5pol XLR for VPR connection and 7 pol 5,08mm Phoenix terminal. for using multiple boards you can build up as many stereo channels and link them via the phoenix connectors.  Also there is an DC Link Jumper .The first PCB dimension is 117mmx80mm but the last 5mm can be cutted easily for in case mount.

The Revision #2 is smaller its just 111mx75mm, so more easy to get more boards next to each other ;)
Also now with ENIG Finish for best results!

img_8710d0jib.jpg

you can use 15or 18 position EDAC Connectors either you more producing 51x or VPR
In and Outputs can be connected via XLR Neutrik NC3 FAV/MAV or via 3pin 2,54mm Molex connectors
For my own Taste i use two pcbs and put all the parts of the back on one and all the parts of the front and connect them via some cables/ hardwires and put some spacers between for standalone version that can stay upright

img_8703lej0i.jpg

img_87081hkoq.jpg

sadly i have a small error in the design, since you should never trust eagle librarys and draw all the stuff on your own. the two EDAC connectors are 2mm too far from each other away thats why soldering have to be like this. best is to put an existing stereo module in and then solder just some pins that they are in the perfect way.so the two edacs will be a bit angled. i will change this error in the next revision

Partslist is really short
2 EDAC 15/18 PIN Connector order via Jeff(USA-Capi) or Volker(Europe-Silent Arts)
1 NC5MAV
2 NC3MAV
2 NC3FAV
6 4mm Hirschmann/Banana Connector
1 3 Pin 2,54mm Jumper
4 3 Pin 2,54mm Molex
2 7 Pin-5.08mm- Phoenix Terminal Connector

check what of these parts you want to use for your project

here i go with some more pics

img_86866hj64.jpg

img_8690n1k2m.jpg

oejbi6e7.jpg

xgdqqk7v.jpg

img_8700w0jra.jpg

img_8709l1kw1.jpg

This is a bit of an off topic question, but:

What bench power supply would I need to be able to calibrate any 51x or 500 module?

A module either uses +/-24V or +/-16V, never both at the same time, right? But, must I have the additional +48V source for testing of preamps, so that in other words I need two power supplies?

Finally, any recommendations on a good but not too expensive bench power supply for this?

I don't think you will need +48V to calibrate any 51x or 500 module.
You only need it of you want to test your preamps with a condenser microphone on your work bench, outside of a rack.

tyskstil said:
A module either uses +/-24V or +/-16V, never both at the same time, right?
No. My 903-51X uses +/-24V and +/-16V at the same time (but you can calibrate and test it with +/-16V jumpered to the +/-24V).
My V672X & PMV70X don't use the +/-16V, they need +/-24V only.
I can't speak for other 51X modules.

I use two bench power supplies, one for +/-16V and one for +/-24V.
For testing with phantom power I put the modules in the Rack.

Hi Jacob
If you just getting started with a power supply. you may can get something like this
https://www.reichelt.de/labornetzgeraet-0-30-v-0-5-a-stabilisiert-peaktech-6210-p129511.html
But there are also cheaper and more expensive ones around. That's mostly a matter of your needs and how clean you wish your power for calibration.

Hi! I'm putting together one of these and I'm having a bit of trouble with the jumper connections... Is there a way to line them up prior to soldering? Or should I go one by one, carefully making sure they get as straight as possible?

Back