797audio CR998 Mic (AKG C12 Clone)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these clones online please. I have the site etc but I no one seems to sell them? Thanks!

Hi HG,

A great deal of the 797Audio products were never exported due to copyright problems. They are said to have even produced a more-than-decent MD441!

The "exportable" pruducts from 797 are branded with lots of different names, so a particular model could be hard to find..

Jakob E.

I recall that someone was selling a 797 mic some months ago but I haven't seen much of them around the web for some time. Is there any reason for specifically wanting a 797 mic and not a different brand from the 797 factory?

:cool:

The Apex 460 for $250 CDN (Long + McQuade) is probably similar - the guts are very much like a C12, but the capsule is one of their centre-terminated ones. I took one of those, put in a Sowter transformer and a C12VR capsule... it's pretty good now. That's the closest I've seen, likely because of the copyright issues.

-Dale

Nady has one on their web site, but I've never seen one for sale anywhere. Here's the link: http://www.nadywireless.com/products/product_pgs/tcmmics_pg3.html

Why would you want a c12?

The capsule mount of a real c12 looks like a bad design to me or a big part of its sound. There is a support behind the back side of the capsule. For people with LD condensers. Using headphones and flat eq or none with a simple clean pre to headphone path. Use you finger(s) hand etc and place them by the back of the grill while talking singing or just sound in the room. Depending on the capsule pattern solid objects close to the capsule act like an EQ. The grill size and mesh size and % open space acts like a EQ.

FWIW this is why I am hesitant to every say a microphone build of mine is done. The capsule grill interactions are something I am still learning about. This seems to be more of a try it and see what happens learning. I now think of a grill as an EQ inposed on the capsule.

Sightly off topic.
went to the Nady site cool looking C12.
Found this look on the botton the the page below.
http://www.nadywireless.com/products/closeout_pgs/closeout_audio_3.html
Not sure if it a good deal?
I know where the quality of these are so no need to warn me!

Latest posts

Back