• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8-slot Lunchbox Kit Group Buy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michal_k

---> Build instructions on page 6 of this thread <---

8p8x.jpg

Update 08/01
I think I have figured out which parcels can be missing the rail mounting screws. I've sent the additional letters to those addresses containing the missing items.

Also, I'm getting plenty of PM and emails asking me if there are any kits left. Well, there are not. If you're interested in getting one, write in this thread. As soon as we reach around 15-20 kits I'll organise the second batch.

Update 31/01
All parcels that had been paid for shipped. To the waiting list: I still have some spare parts in case of parcel loss etc. Once I'll have all the kits delivered I will contact you in order as per list.

Update 29/01
10 out of 17 parcels shipped. I should post the rest of them tomorrow.

Update 15/01
Looks like I'm finally ready to ship! I'll sort the parts today, make sure everything looks fine and start dropping those parcels in the next couple of days. You'll get the confirmation and shipping number via PM. Note however, I won't be able to ship everything at once, more like 5 parcels / day.

Update 08/01
Hi everyone, I've got the pcbs and I'm getting the metalwork tomorrow. From there, I'll take it straight to painting and I should start shipping next week. Woo hoo!

Update 23/12
  • I've got a new ship date for the metalwork and it's planned on 08.01  :-\ It's way later than I expected, but well, they're doing it for half the price so I can't really complain. After that I'll need 2-3 days for paintwork and I'll start shipping.
  • PCBs should be in tomorrow or the day after Christmas.
  • I found a nice alternative to Neutrick screws so I'll be throwing them to every order - if you haven't ordered yours yet now you don't have to  :)
Update 16/12
I've been contacted by the metal shop today. They have less people working due to the Christmas right now and there's a possibility they won't ship my order before the end of the week. No metalwork => I can't place order for painting in December => shipping won't start until January :(

Update 12/12
Today I picked up the rails that were cut to size. They look really nice, no tool marks at all.
Guys who still haven't paid. Please do it asap as I'm currently paying with my own money and I need them back for, you know, food and stuff.

gziv.jpg

Update 10/12
PCBs confirmed to ship on 23/12

Update 06/12
Metalwork got confirmed and I ordered all the parts. Now we wait.

Update 04/12
PCBs and rails are now ordered.

Update 02/12
Half of the payments are in. I'll be done with all the orders for the parts by tomorrow.

Update 01/12
GB is now closed for new participants and I'll be placing orders for 15 sets. Kit contents remain the same that is as pictured in the original post. You can get extra rack ears (rack ear side panels) for a little bit extra. Yesterday I've convinced powder coating shop to do such a small run and the price for the kit remains the same. Yay! You should get an invoice via pm on this forum today till midnight. If I missed you somehow please let me know.

(if you're worried that the ears are mirrored to what was shown in the drawings below, fear not - you can mount them either way)
nzc0.jpg

07pb.jpg

bf96.jpg

Update 27/11
Look what just came in. Also, I'll be waiting three more days (till 30 Nov midnight) for the rest of the people to confirm their interest. After that the list will be frozen and I'll be placing orders for the reduced amount of lunchboxes.

Update 25/11
I've got 16 confirmations out of 25. Come on guys...

Update 22/11
Please send me your address so that I can estimate shipping and send you all invoices. When I get all the info I will be able to post estimated shipping date etc.

Update 11/11
It's all confirmed with prices of the elements. I'll be sending private messages to everyone who expressed interest in participating asking for confirmation and shipping info. When around 80% of the people pay I'll place the orders with all the vendors and will post exact timeline. For now I can say that PCB manufacturing take the longest - around 3-4 weeks. Rest of the elements should arrive beforehand.

Update 05/11
Hi, I'm still not 100% happy with the rack ears and this feature is holding the GB back. Therefore I have decided to offer lunchbox alone for those interested in such an option. In the same time I'll try to get another prototype of the rack ears done and offer them later on. For now I will reconfirm the pricing with metal shop and PCB plant to make sure we're still in the same place and will post deadlines and payment info here.

thanks for being patient.

Voting for rack ears is now closed (as soon as I figure out how to remove the poll anyway)

22 people said they prefer asymmetric rack ears and that's what I'm going to try to deliver.
asym_ears.jpg

------------- Original post -------------

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to put together a list of people interested in buying a kit for 8-slot Lunchbox as presented in the page 4 of the thread below:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50571.60

zdj%C4%99cie.JPG

Kit includes:
1) 1 PCB:
o34a.jpg

2) 4 mounting rails + two api500 spaced threaded inserts:
nhix.jpg

3) Metalwork (two sides and back panel):
9xy3.jpg

4) Some bits and pieces like 25mm standoffs, couple of m3 screws - everything you'd need to put the box together hardware wise.

To complete the build you'll need edge connectors (30 or 36-pins), power xlr (3-7 pins), In/Out xlr's. Detailed BOM will follow.

Price for the kit is 115 EUR. Minimum quantity is 15. GB closes on 7 Oct or when we reach 25 pieces.

List of the people who have expressed interest so far, if you're interested please post below
[list type=decimal]
[*]fred [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]characterstudios [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]Walrus [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]Albrebreton [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]bubbi [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]kvothe [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]Purup [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]mastertaenia [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]mus1k_freak [confirmed] [Paid][Shipped]
[*]erikb1971 [confirmed] [Shipped] [Shipped]
[*]Randallizer [confirmed][Paid] [Shipped]
[*]helterbelter [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]Kamel [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[*]frans [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
        [*]AErige [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
        [*]cmuller0420 [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
        [*]late [confirmed] [Paid] [Shipped]
[/list]

Waiting list - in case there are some unclaimed kits left
[list type=decimal]
[*]echoplex
[*]Upacesky
[*]schawo
[*]dirtyhanfri
[*]keeeth
[*]souljam
[*]capes83
[*]3nity
[*]jonchronic
[*]rascalseven
[/list]

One for me thanks. Is it possible post the BOM?
What are the dimensions of the unit?

Yes, please put me down for one as well !
The 51x alliance rack plus PSU is a too large investment for me right now, even though I'm confident it's worth the price.....
This is a really good starting point for going the 500/51x route !

Updated the list. Answering your questions dimensions of the unit are 305x133. As far as BOM goes, I'll post it on Monday (I'm out of town at the moment and have no access to my invoices and stuff). Basically, what you need to finish this build is:
- PCB mounted Neutrik XLRs (A series)
- Edge connectors - get them from classicAPI or Volker. 30 or 36 pin depending on how many voltage rails you want to use.
- Power XLR. Holes are drilled so that chassis mounted Neutriks fit well. You can use anything from 3-pin for +-15V operation up to 7 pin for full 51x spec.

You'll also have to put together a PSU. But you've all done that before, haven't you  ;)

Thanks for your interest guys! We're already up to 19 pcs what means this GB is going to happen.

I'm interested, cause I do need an eight way rack. However, I'm with Dane999 on the rack ears, although, it's something I could do myself. (Bend a couple pieces of heavy sheet metal and drill some holes).

I find it kind of odd that there is no top and bottom panel and at the same time isn't rackable?

You'd figure on a unit that isn't intended for a rack...the top and bottom would need to be enclosed.

I'd think other items in the rack will have tops & bottoms, so it may make it better to have
but may not matter depending on your  audio " enviroment "
but if ears are not included , that IS a tough one [ i was pondering  the buy myself ]

I too would be interested if it had either top and bottom, or rack option. For now I'll keep watching with interest.

Well no, I'm just saying that it's not hard to bend your own rack ears....and IF it's intended not to be in a rack, it's unusual not to have a top and bottom panel.

That was my point.

It's a wonderful job regardless..

I've been lurking here for quite a number of years once again, but I'm definitely in for one set.

I've updated the list again.

Just to clarify no top/bottom thing. I've done several versions of this rack and my goal throughout was to keep the cost low (around 100 Eur). I decided to skip top and bottom because of the cost. Also it would make the parcel bigger and shipping more expensive.

As far as rack ears go, I am pretty confident at this point I can deliver that at a great price, will update this thread as soon as I know for sure :)

Thanks for your interest and feedback guys, much appreciated.

Nice offer.
Any chance you'd offer just the PCB? I would be interested in one or two of just the PCB. Could allow people to have their own box rolled with or without ears as desired. And where did you find that extrusion. I'm thinking of cutting down a soundboard and that would be ideal.
JP

Latest posts

Back