8 way AES cable for wiring up patch bay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_gould

So I was lucky to get about 10 ft of this 8 way cable from work. I want to use it to make mini snakes 40cm long between audio interface and patch bay. The only hitch is that it's digital audio cable. For such short runs, will there be any degradation in sound quality?

The cable is called "Flexible audio brilliance by Belden 1805F - AES/EBU digital audio cable SPR24 shielded".

Edit : Here's the spec sheet : http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/1805F.pdf

Attachments

• rps20130720_151539.jpg
    rps20130720_151539.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 31
Seems the consensus over on GS is that it isn't a problem.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/392564-can-i-use-110-ohm-aes-ebu-cable-analog-line-signals.html

rob_gould said:
So I was lucky to get about 10 ft of this 8 way cable from work. I want to use it to make mini snakes 40cm long between audio interface and patch bay. The only hitch is that it's digital audio cable. For such short runs, will there be any degradation in sound quality?

"Digital audio cable" means that its impedance is well-controlled and specified, as opposed to standard twisted pair which is not.

IOW, it's a better cable. It is perfectly fine for analog audio.

Having said that, if the idiots on Gearslutz say that it's fine, maybe it's ... not. OH NO MY WORLDVIEW IS BLOWN!

Haha yeah I ought to have googled first but I prefer the advice here to elsewhere. Though it seems the consensus is the same this time.

Thanks for the confirmation anyway.

The cable itself is fine. I just hope you never ever have to physically move or handle those plastic plugs once you've installed them. I have bad experiences with those. Endless maintenance until you switch to a tried and tested full metal jacket.

I recall one particular time when I screwed the plastic cover on too tight. "Pop goes the weasel!" [the plastic threads]

Kingston said:
The cable itself is fine. I just hope you never ever have to physically move or handle those plastic plugs once you've installed them. I have bad experiences with those. Endless maintenance until you switch to a tried and tested full metal jacket.

I recall one particular time when I screwed the plastic cover on too tight. "Pop goes the weasel!" [the plastic threads]

Hi Kingston,

Yes - they are cheap and pretty low quality.  I naively bought them thinking I'd got a bargain some years ago. 

I've tested all the channels I've wired with them, and for now they are OK.  Because they're round the back and should only be touched when I dismantle the studio for house moves or whatever, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will hold out.

Back