80/20 for Studio DIY?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you enjoy working with 80/20 or want to try it out, keep an eye on your local metal recyclers. They can often be talked into selling you pieces at scrap rate, and old 80/20 contraptions seem to show up in the extrusions bin a lot around here. I'm not a huge 80/20 fan but I understand the appeal.

My dad lived on the banks of a lake which was great for trout fishing. When we visited my brothers and I used to catch a lot of trout and wanted to build a smoker. In the shed was an old refrigerator so we gutted the motor and compressor and cut a hole in the bottom. I dug a horizontal tunnel (with a wide mouth to light the smoking fire in) from the lake bank running inland to a vertical hole with the fridge placed over the top. The wire racks could accommodate about 10 good sized trout - filleted and spread over with salt/brown sugar mix left in the fridge (a real working one) overnight then put in the smoker for about 5 - 6hrs. 👌 😋

I worked in a Music store when I was younger. The employee restroom was about a hundred foot walk down a hallway from the sales floor. Inevitably, you would make the walk and find out someone was already in there. I rigged up a magnetic switch on the bathroom door, and ran it to a box mounted inconspicuously, where it could be seen from the sales floor. It had a single green LED that lit up when the bathroom door was closed. It was so simple and effective. It changed the employees vernacular for using the rest room. If someone was in the toilet they were said to be "green lighting".
I worked there for quite a while, and the green light was still functional long after I left.

Back