900 Series Chassis for +/-24V projects? (versus +/-16V 500 series)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velo

GDIY Supporter
(versus 51X?)

On reverb I just stumbled upon what apparently was popular when I grew up in the 80s.

dbx 900-series chassis with +/-24V rails.

Why did 500 series "win"? +/-16V seems inferior to me.

Should I abandon thoughts of adapting 500-series DIY projects to work with +/-24V rails giving me more headroom? Why do I think I need more headroom? I think I think that my high SPL drumming will benefit me somehow. Could that be made to be true?

I am familiar with 51X chassis. I guess this is the same question but a cheap used 900 series chassis is a cheap 900 series chassis.

900 series uses 24V for the output drivers, but 15V for everything else. Has both, pretty sure.

Find the Eisen Audio headroom/voltage chart, I've quoted it a zillion times. 24 isn't that much more headroom.

900 series uses 24V for the output drivers, but 15V for everything else. Has both, pretty sure.

Find the Eisen Audio headroom/voltage chart, I've quoted it a zillion times. 24 isn't that much more headroom.
Yeah, I saw the +/-15V in the connective tissue. A gentleman on reverb indicated that these units suffered a bit in the sustainable amperage department. Does higher voltage imply limited PSU designs as a matter of historic legacy?

A gentleman on reverb indicated that these units suffered a bit in the sustainable amperage department. Does higher voltage imply limited PSU designs as a matter of historic legacy?
It's really case by case

24/16 = 1.5 = 3.5dB extra headroom. WIll that really make much difference?

Cheers

Ian
I suppose all those things one does that add +3dB or reduce noise by some small amount matter as a sum of parts but any one of them alone might not be justifiable. Thanks for the math; I think that gives it the proper perspective regardless.

Back