A thought to use vintage transcription equalizer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studiogearlover

Hey people... I am playing with a though and would love to hear your opinion on this one... I have two vintage GE 4FA12B2 EQ which originally designed for turntables however, looking at their product description, it is also designed to be connected to the unloaded side of any mic-pre. This will/could give some nice presence lift ( i think?) around 10-15khz. I wonder can this be connected to (for trial purposes) a mic so the pickup here will be the mic and feeding the balanced output 150/250Ohms into a micpre?

In theory (at least in my head which doesnt mean much) could work... but... what do you say?  :)

Links to the specs:

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Archive-Catalogs-IDX/IDX/GE/GE-Studio-Audio-Equipment-1962-OCR-Page-0096.pdf

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-CATALOGS/IDX/General-Electric/GE-Studio-Audio-Equipment-1962-OCR-Page-0095.pdf

Cheers!

Attachments

• GE1.jpg
    GE1.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 14
Studiogearlover said:
I wonder can this be connected to (for trial purposes) a mic so the pickup here will be the mic and feeding the balanced output 150/250Ohms into a micpre?
There's no risk in doing that.
Being a passive EQ with about 10dB "boost", the rest of the signal is attenuated by 10dB.
The datashhet recommends using an unloaded input. If you use a standard preamp it will probably result in some more attenuation and less HF boost. You'll be the judge if you like it or not.

abbey road d enfer said:
There's no risk in doing that.
Being a passive EQ with about 10dB "boost", the rest of the signal is attenuated by 10dB.
The datashhet recommends using an unloaded input. If you use a standard preamp it will probably result in some more attenuation and less HF boost. You'll be the judge if you like it or not.

Hey ..thanks for this. I am planning to hook this up with..well..not a usual preamp :) the mic pre/mixer I have has an enormous gain (12ax7 + an input transformer) of at least 65db at the mic pre and an extra 45db at least at the output stage.. i am in need of attenuators here for sure ( unsure what value yet, but definitely over 20-30db with a condenser mic i guess) ...  :D will try and see what this EQ does... thanks again!

Hey ..thanks for this. I am planning to hook this up with..well..not a usual preamp :) the mic pre/mixer I have has an enormous gain (12ax7 + an input transformer) of at least 65db at the mic pre and an extra 45db at least at the output stage.. i am in need of attenuators here for sure ( unsure what value yet, but definitely over 20-30db with a condenser mic i guess) ... :D will try and see what this EQ does... thanks again!

Is there an update on this?! How does it sound?

Hi.. it did work and still does. Actually you can hook this up to anything...dynamic mic straight into the mic pre (you need sufficient gain!) , or any studio gear... has 4 settings, different EQs, mainly between 5-15kHz but somehow the low's are also super round and warm. I bet the UTC transformer inside and some cap's do the job well... also good thing that has two different impedance output so this also can tame the sound (..i think...)...

Back