AA CM47 with different capsule?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarplexus

Hi guys, quick question:

If I were to get a CM47 from Advanced Audio and wanted to change the capsule to Dan's M7 or K47...

Would that be a good or bad idea?

Thanks!

I think that really depends on you and your preference. From the looks of it, the CM47 is a pretty good microphone in it's own right that also costs a pretty penny. So if you don't want the package deal and rather have e.g. one of Dan's capsules in a mic, I'd personally go the complete DIY route and build a mic around that capsule.
Just my .2c

Best
Jannis

Since CM47 has actually a K67 capsule, i wonder if there is some hf filtering going on. If so, sticking a k47 would make it too dark. If not, a k47 would bring it closer to a u47.

Thanks for your input. I was just wondering because price-wise, unless there is something I don't get, or some providers I don't know of, an AA CM47 with an M7 capsule would be about the same as building a DIY one. Since I am in Canada, with the customs and shipping to different places, it gets quite expensive quite quickly. I thought of buying all from Canada and save customs and shipping for too many providers.

Any advice to keep the final price low?

Just go for it, I don't think CM47 has any eq built in as it has quite a huge boost at 10kHz which seems to come from the capsule. They use two-stage 6072 amplifier with BV8 type transformer. In case it doesn't sound good or you aren't happy you can put the old capsule back and use the K47 for a DIY mic build, or if you are happy then use the AA K67 type capsule for a new DIY U67 build.

https://advancedaudio-europe.com/CM47
FR
CM47_Cardiod_large-800x800.jpg

Latest posts

Back