ABS "project boxes"

Brian Roth

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Salina Kansas
I used to find them locally at Rat Shack. Needing eight.

I found one choice that fit the bill here:


The first one on the list is perfect, but out of stock for too long for this project. Snooping at Mouser I find some Hammond Manufacturing boxes I could use that are too large in one dimension or another.

Any other vendor ideas? I'll deal with the "larger than required" Hammond boxes as a fallback.

Thanks!

Bri
 
Last edited by a moderator:

john12ax7

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 14, 2010
Messages
1,798
Location
California, US
Does it need to be plastic or would metal work? For metal you can get pedal enclosures in all kinds of shapes and sizes.
 

Bo Deadly

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Messages
2,352
Location
New Jersey, USA
Why plastic? My preference would be steel enclosures that are like two U shaped pieces where one fits within the other. Those can be found but in very limited sizes. However, the next best thing IMO are the extruded aluminum enclosures. You can find them on Ebay in all sorts of different sizes and configurations.
 

iampoor1

Well-known member
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
686
Location
California
I have a bunch of Hammond 1590g grey plastic boxes..wpuodnt mind selling you a few of them for cheep if it fits the bill. 😀
 

Brian Roth

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Salina Kansas
squarewave said:
Why plastic? My preference would be steel enclosures that are like two U shaped pieces where one fits within the other. Those can be found but in very limited sizes. However, the next best thing IMO are the extruded aluminum enclosures. You can find them on Ebay in all sorts of different sizes and configurations.

I have several specific reasons why I chose the ABS boxes for this oddball project.  Typically I WOULD use a metal box.

Bri
 

Brian Roth

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Salina Kansas
iampoor1 said:
I have a bunch of Hammond 1590g grey plastic boxes..wpuodnt mind selling you a few of them for cheep if it fits the bill. 😀

1590?  The Hammond website sez they are metal.

Bri
 

iampoor1

Well-known member
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
686
Location
California
Brian Roth said:
1590?  The Hammond website sez they are metal.

Bri

I goofed up the part number. I just check, they are 7 7/16 x 4 1/4 by 2 7/16 tall. The one I have off hand doesnt have the ammond number written on it, and UI cant remeber it. But I know they are new. They may have been repacked when I got them...it was a few years ago and I cannot recall. Send me a PM if you are interested...I have atleast 8, maybe 12
 

Brian Roth

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Salina Kansas
iampoor1 said:
I goofed up the part number. I just check, they are 7 7/16 x 4 1/4 by 2 7/16 tall. The one I have off hand doesnt have the ammond number written on it, and UI cant remeber it. But I know they are new. They may have been repacked when I got them...it was a few years ago and I cannot recall. Send me a PM if you are interested...I have atleast 8, maybe 12

I appreciate the offer, but I need boxes quite a bit smaller than that so they will fit into the available spaces.

Bri
 

rp

Active member
Joined
Feb 23, 2014
Messages
42
Location
Baltimore, MD
Hammond makes a bunch of ABS cases - 1591, 1551, etc. I used one a while back that I think I got from mouser.

Check the hammond website: Small Enclosures > Plastic Enclosures
 

Brian Roth

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
1,664
Location
Salina Kansas
As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, Hammond has some viable choices for me, with availability at Mouser (and Digikey). I was merely checking if there were other choices I may have overlooked.

Bri
 

Latest posts

Top