ABS "project boxes"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I used to find them locally at Rat Shack. Needing eight.

I found one choice that fit the bill here:

https://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCa...ogId=10001&freeText=abs&search_type=jamecoall
The first one on the list is perfect, but out of stock for too long for this project. Snooping at Mouser I find some Hammond Manufacturing boxes I could use that are too large in one dimension or another.

Any other vendor ideas? I'll deal with the "larger than required" Hammond boxes as a fallback.

Thanks!

Bri

Last edited by a moderator:
Why plastic? My preference would be steel enclosures that are like two U shaped pieces where one fits within the other. Those can be found but in very limited sizes. However, the next best thing IMO are the extruded aluminum enclosures. You can find them on Ebay in all sorts of different sizes and configurations.

I have a bunch of Hammond 1590g grey plastic boxes..wpuodnt mind selling you a few of them for cheep if it fits the bill. 😀

squarewave said:
Why plastic? My preference would be steel enclosures that are like two U shaped pieces where one fits within the other. Those can be found but in very limited sizes. However, the next best thing IMO are the extruded aluminum enclosures. You can find them on Ebay in all sorts of different sizes and configurations.

I have several specific reasons why I chose the ABS boxes for this oddball project.  Typically I WOULD use a metal box.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
1590?  The Hammond website sez they are metal.

Bri

I goofed up the part number. I just check, they are 7 7/16 x 4 1/4 by 2 7/16 tall. The one I have off hand doesnt have the ammond number written on it, and UI cant remeber it. But I know they are new. They may have been repacked when I got them...it was a few years ago and I cannot recall. Send me a PM if you are interested...I have atleast 8, maybe 12

iampoor1 said:
I goofed up the part number. I just check, they are 7 7/16 x 4 1/4 by 2 7/16 tall. The one I have off hand doesnt have the ammond number written on it, and UI cant remeber it. But I know they are new. They may have been repacked when I got them...it was a few years ago and I cannot recall. Send me a PM if you are interested...I have atleast 8, maybe 12

I appreciate the offer, but I need boxes quite a bit smaller than that so they will fit into the available spaces.

Bri

Hammond makes a bunch of ABS cases - 1591, 1551, etc. I used one a while back that I think I got from mouser.

Check the hammond website: Small Enclosures > Plastic Enclosures

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, Hammond has some viable choices for me, with availability at Mouser (and Digikey). I was merely checking if there were other choices I may have overlooked.

Bri

Yeah I miss Radio Shack. It was good for project boxes and overpriced parts.
Don't miss the annoying sales people who don't know a thyristor from a capacitor but insist on checking with you every 3 minutes.

Get boxes from Mouser, Tayda and Digikey if I am already ordering parts, but if not the old ebay usually will be cheaper for shipping, all other factors being roughly equal.

Latest posts

Back