AC mains circuit breaker tracer/"sniffer" instrument set

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Eons ago, I bought a two-piece set for determining which "breaker is which" on a breaker panel. One gizmo was line powered, plugged into a receptacle, and injected a signal into the branch circuit. The other half of the system was a handheld "sniffer" which was used to manually scan around the individual breakers to determine which circuit the test signal was on.

I need a new identifier set because my old one is kaput. Brand/model ideas in 2024? I don't want a $2.99 Alibaba pile of crap, but also don't want to spend a fortune. It's a "once in a blue moon" tool...I am not a professional electrician needing it every day.

Thanks

Bri

I've bought hundreds of these tools, in the Telco version. Doesn't have a GFCI tester. They can be expensive in Europe (60€).

The last one I ordered were Chinese, either it was the OEM for the EU ones, or it was a very good copy.

It's a simple tool. A 4 watt IC audio amp puts an easily recognisable toodeloot on the line. You follow the line with the tracer, to identify it, or to find where it's broken.

We needed a lot of these, as it's a two part tool and one part gets lost because you can't keep an eye on it. The last ones I ordered were 12€ a piece, when ordered in quantities of 100.

I've never known electricians to use it though.

Latest posts

Back