AC Sound Pi-3141 Pre-Order (PYE Comp) 2nd Round!! PREORDER OPEN!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abe - What are the transformers you use when you manufacture these yourself?

I'll be buying everything from scratch & I know you've done plenty of testing and listening. I trust your judgement over my best guess.

Cheers.

Got my PYE today in the mail.
Warming up the iron now.
Any word on the schematic?
Thanks Abe!
Best,
Bruno2000

Boards received in Croatia!  :)  :)

Unfortunately, not with replacement tube socket boards for PRR176, but hey what the heck... I don't mind it. I'm happy now!!
:) :)

Is there a Mouser cart for this anywhere?  I looked through the BOM, but the wattage on the resistors and little things like that didn't seem to be there.  But mainly, this is the part I am really lazy about, and I was hoping I could slack off my way into not having to do it.
Patrick

kml23956 said:
I am having trouble building the mouser cart. Is anyone else having trouble?

Hey guys. Here is a mouser cart:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c996bfc852

Anthony was kind enough to put it together (I dont know your name on here man! Why not!!?)

All resistors are 1/4watt

The transistors in parentheses are substitutes for the transistors they are next to (note they must be turned 180 degrees when installed) as for some reason the bc560A version disappeared in the last 6 months. I will update the bom and make a wiring guide for ease of use.

Abe, you mentioned in the other thread when you were describing the manner in which this compresses things a germanium diode in the signal path.  I didn't see that in the Mouser Cart.  I was curious about it because you implied that it might be a factor for why the behavior is so unique/nice.  Just curious about that.

EDIT: Ahh, so the 1N5817 replaces the germanium (OA47).  Is there a noticeable difference between these two?
Patrick

Forward voltage drop. The OA47 is about half of the 1N5817.

Patrick from Davis said:
EDIT: Ahh, so the 1N5817 replaces the germanium (OA47).  Is there a noticeable difference between these two?
Patrick

Grummy77 said:
Abe - What are the transformers you use when you manufacture these yourself?

I'll be buying everything from scratch & I know you've done plenty of testing and listening. I trust your judgement over my best guess.

Cheers.

I use cinemag for input and then the edcor 600/10k interstage. And also edcor 600/10k for output. Sounds great as is. The edcor works fine in the signal path I think because it is driven well and also this is already somewhat of a "color" piece though I imagine a 1:4 jensen or cinemag would sound wonderful, haven't pinned down a model number for any type of that configuration they carry yet.

Biasrocks said:
Forward voltage drop. The OA47 is about half of the 1N5817.

Patrick from Davis said:
Patrick

Actually the Schkotty 1N5817 has less voltage drop then the old germanium transistors (at least with the ones I measured). I experimented with them, I remember liking the 1n5817 better, it was a while back, never really looked back...I'm sure you could stick the germaniums in there no problem, but they are harder to source and blah blah...its fun to experiment. I know the 1n5817s work great in the current configuration, you can certainly swap out for germaniums, might not change the sound, might change the sound, might love it, might hate it, might cause the whole sidechain to freak out ::) ::)
But I use 1n5817s in all my builds...

usekgb said:
This cart appears to be for a stereo pair.  Is that correct?

Yep! And for the timer TLC555

Also, tried over the weekend to make a consolidated repeatable way to wind your own toroids....no luck! When I use toroids I have to sandwich 2 together, which is no big deal, but one of the two is from a random back of black toroids that I literally have no idea what their value is...But hopefully soon I will have a repeatable way to wind toroids but the 555 literally does not change the sound at all. But if its easy to make it more original why not?

kml23956 said:
The Pye is on order. Thanks again Abe. Now I need a case.

Oh great time to mention Dan over at collectivecases.com is where I get all my cases. Great design and resonable prices. I will also upload the part numbers for my knobs is ya'll want to make clones of a clone ;) Nah but out of all the knobs I tried (I tried a lot) I thought these look the best and tied it all together so maybe at least a few of you will think the same! Allied Electronics is where I get em.

Back