Accurate software VST, etc, to measure low audio frequencies?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get accurate measurements of low frequencies of some of my instruments.  Waves Analyzer and Voxengo are crapping out below 60hz.  These frequencies are the bottom few notes of a piano(ish) 25-40Hz.  I'm hoping to get accurate Note and cent info for a tuning table I'm trying to create.

Anyone know anything that would work (other than just creating a specific pitched sine wave and testing the difference with my ear?

I was wrong!  The lowest note is around 60Hz.  I got thrown off by the C3 and C4 midi note naming conventions that various DAW people don't seem to agree on....

most tuners have problems with really low notes.

maybe is more easy to read period than frequency. that would work if you don't need a real time measurement, you could record something at a high sampling rate and 24bit to have a good presicion. 

I wrote a pitch detection algorithm for my tesis work many years ago, correlation  would clean the signal to get a good measurement, I did use some spline interpolation to get more precision it worked very well for human voice.
you could try to use a pitch doubler or a full wave rectifier to double the pitch for a better measurement on a "normal" tunner.

if I remember correctly from my tesis work human ear is less sensitive to pitch changes at low frequences provably because human ear can`t hear too well at low frequencies.

Back