acoustic guitar pedals, recommendations?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Hey guys I'm looking for some recommendations for pedals for gigging acoustic guitar use... I definitely need a preamp, and a clean boost.  An eq and compressor wouldn't hurt but aren't necessary at the moment.  I'm hoping for a diy solution, but I'd buy a good commercial pedal as well. 

So I guess what I'm looking for is an all in one solution, perhaps minus the compressor.

Thanks in advance!

do a search there is a lot of posted circuits
try diystompboxes

It's all about the pickup for me on acoustic guitars.

- Good pickups tend to need very little if anything in the way of pedals to sound good
- Bad pickups can never be made to sound good no matter how many pedals are employed

I've not used many acoustic pedals recently, my gigging days were a while back and I always bucked the trend by micing my Martin.  That said I'd look at opto based compressor pedals, a nice opto is the first thing I reach for in the studio for acoustic guitar.

Let us know what you find and choose.

ruairioflaherty said:
It's all about the pickup for me on acoustic guitars.

- Good pickups tend to need very little if anything in the way of pedals to sound good
- Bad pickups can never be made to sound good no matter how many pedals are employed

I've not used many acoustic pedals recently, my gigging days were a while back and I always bucked the trend by micing my Martin.  That said I'd look at opto based compressor pedals, a nice opto is the first thing I reach for in the studio for acoustic guitar.

Let us know what you find and choose.

I agree with that, pedals for effects only, of course a good preamp will help, but a nice Fishman and the preamp that match it or something like that may be the way to go, then a compressor, maybe chorus and reverb, if you like... no much more to add, an equalizer if you want to shape better the sound but may be a problem if you don't set it really good, I mean, it's easy to screw things with anything you add, with not so good equalization you easily destroy the sound of a nice acoustic guitar, same for compression, reverb or chorus.

JS

Hey guys I'm sorry took me so long to get back to this post, I had some family distractions and Internet connectivity issues.  I decided not to DIY because I have too many other projects going on at the moment... So I took some time trying out a number of different pedals, including the lehle acouswitch, LR bags venue di, Fishman di, & Radial ToneBone PZ Pre, and a few others.  To me, the lehle acouswitch, was a clear winner.  Of course, it's also the most expensive... But it sounds fantastic, has more routing options, & it's built like a tank which is important to me because although I do not abuse my equipment I have been known to be a bit heavy-handed with things, and my gig rig has to be durable. 

After using this on a couple of gigs, I am still thrilled...  The eq and body contour are very natural sounding and I can get what I want to hear out of my guitar in a variety of settings.  I realized I never mentioned my equipment... I'm playing a seagull solid wood series with an LR baggs anthem pickup, now with the lehle I am very happy with my guitar sound.

Latest posts

Back