ADC and DAC list.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Sorr"]Thats a start.
Has anybody looked inside to confirm playboss's bet?[/quote]

I have a prism AD-1 / DA-1. I have looked inside but I cant remember all the chip #s from memory. BB OPA604s in the input stages of the AD. TI DAC chips, 2 per channel. I think I remember seeing a few LT1115 in the DAC as well. I can take another look.

mike

I recently talked to a guy on the net who build his own 16 channel AD using PCM4222, very good crystal, 4-layer PCB, mostly using surface mount components. He's got access to a PCB manufacturing plant.

He would be willing to do a DIY kit for around 1200 $ if there are more than 25 people interested. He claims the converter to sound better than a Weiss ADC-2...

[quote author="living sounds"]I recently talked to a guy on the net who build his own 16 channel AD using PCM4222, very good crystal, 4-layer PCB, mostly using surface mount components. He's got access to a PCB manufacturing plant.

He would be willing to do a DIY kit for around 1200 $ if there are more than 25 people interested. He claims the converter to sound better than a Weiss ADC-2...[/quote]

If it's not to much SMD on board, count me in!

There was a schematic for the PCM4222 evaluation board on TI-site, I wonder how complete they are and could that be implemented on a one or two layer PCB? The chips are 21$ in Newark.

They are four layer boards. I strongly suggest 4 layer boards for high performance ADC's. Having that ground plane and power plane helps significantly.

I recently talked to a guy on the net who build his own 16 channel AD using PCM4222, very good crystal, 4-layer PCB, mostly using surface mount components. He's got access to a PCB manufacturing plant.

how can be used 16 channels with just one spdif out? is necesary a DSP processor to merge all the digital signals?

oh now isee. Forget about Spdif, you want AES EBU, and a Lynx Aes-16 , or RME AES 32 . And for example, DAC on the output serving as digital crossover with class-a monoblocks ;)

FYI , have a good scroll: http://hypex.nl/docs/Bruno%20Masterclass/slides.htm

[quote author="living sounds"]
He would be willing to do a DIY kit for around 1200 $ if there are more than 25 people interested. He claims the converter to sound better than a Weiss ADC-2...[/quote]

price includes 40 segment LEDmeters on every channel? :sad:
and the Weiss part is... harsh...

Rochey, isnt pcm4222 is returning to the "roots" to some degree, I mean, the first discrete d-s ADC presented at 1985 AES had also 6bit modulator. 4222 is the first integrated audio offer to have 6 right ? BTW we re talkin about 22W consumption vs 220mW here :grin:

what is the deal with the 6bit modulator output ?

Mikep wrote:
I have a prism AD-1 / DA-1. I have looked inside but I cant remember all the chip #s from memory. BB OPA604s in the input stages of the AD. TI DAC chips, 2 per channel. I think I remember seeing a few LT1115 in the DAC as well. I can take another look.

It would be great if you could give us some more information.
Thanks!

i bet again, the dac is either ad1862 , or pcm63
can i win something too ? :razz:

oh and I already have the original dScope , exclude that one :green:

That's what I always thought. I never liked what I got to hear from the Weiss ADC. There seemed to be an edge to the sound.

I've ordered one of the new Black Lion ADCs, the samples sounded just gorgous. We'll see.... (or rather, hear)...

playboss said:
living sounds said:
He would be willing to do a DIY kit for around 1200 $ if there are more than 25 people interested. He claims the converter to sound better than a Weiss ADC-2...

price includes 40 segment LEDmeters on every channel? :sad:
and the Weiss part is... harsh...

[quote author="playboss"]Rochey, isnt pcm4222 is returning to the "roots" to some degree, I mean, the first discrete d-s ADC presented at 1985 AES had also 6bit modulator. 4222 is the first integrated audio offer to have 6 right ? BTW we re talkin about 22W consumption vs 220mW here :grin:

what is the deal with the 6bit modulator output ?[/quote]

Sounds like you've been to the booth at AES, or you're one of my customers :cool:

6 bit - that'll take an AES paper to read. 2007 AES New York - Convention Paper 7289
... the reason I point you in that direction is because I don't quite fully understand it myself. :sad:

.. I'm the marketing guy - not the designer :twisted:

[quote author="Sorr"]Does anybody know what Prism use?
Sorr[/quote]

AD-1 has CS5389. havent seen inside the new ones.

[quote author="Uula"]DIY 4 layer board shouldn't be impossible, though they would end up pretty thick?[/quote]

Just send it out to one of the quick-turn PCB guys. Four-layer boards aren't that expensive.

-a

Back