Adding recall to a Shure M68 mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Whoops...if you follow back to the original thread in this chain:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/read-pot-value-while-in-circuit.78618/
...the OP wanted to add recall for the level, pan, and switch settings into a Chandler mixer. That thread covered how Old School recall worked with SSL and Amek desks, etc etc.

I spun off this thread to consider how to do a small-scale "proof of concept" using a very common/inexpensive (in year 2021) Shure mixer as a testbed to prototype ideas on a small scale before "hacking" a $7500 mixer.

Bri

I spun off this thread to consider how to do a small-scale "proof of concept" using a very common/inexpensive (in year 2021) Shure mixer as a testbed to prototype ideas on a small scale before "hacking" a $7500 mixer.

Bri
I will try and get a cheap mixer locally and keep you updated on the model

THe first question I would ask is are the controls you want to recall are mounted on a PCB or no?. If not then you may have a chance.

Cheers

Ian

THe first question I would ask is are the controls you want to recall are mounted on a PCB or no?. If not then you may have a chance.

Cheers

Ian
Indeed, that was a topic in the original thread linked in message #1 in this thread. Golgoth's Chandler mixer has pots and switches that are not attached to a PCB, but have flying leads for connections.

Bri

BTW, I just chose the M68 from old memory. I recall it had a relatively spacious interior in order to make mods feasible. I need to find one here and open it up to verify my recollections.

Bri

It's pretty full. Tiny PCB, lots of wiring...

But it's simple enough so should still be up for modding.

It's pretty full. Tiny PCB, lots of wiring...

But it's simple enough so should still be up for modding.
Well, It's been eons since I looked inside one of those, so my memory might be faulty.

I was aiming for a product that was sold all over the world in mass quantities (and inexpensive in 2021), so we're on the "same page" as we venture into the topic of adding recall to an existing device.

There might be other/better(?) candidates I haven't considered. Again, this is intended as a simple proof of concept to test what works.

Bri

Only two versions...

I have one laying around somewhere. If someone wants it, they can have it for shipment cost.

I submit that the most effective way to recall the gain settings on a Shure M68 would be to take a picture of the knobs with your phone.
Anyone have an idea on adding a phantom power circuit to this mixer? I have a couple of them and thought this would be a great way to repurpose these old mixers for “not so critical” applications.

thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back