Advice for plate reverb electronics (how to power Vidsonix Ghost transducer)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdf

Hey all, I have a homemade plate reverb that I just started driving with a Vidsonix Ghost transducer (first on the list here). I'm perfectly fine on my own regarding the plate's construction but the electronics is where I'm left scratching my head.

Specs:
- Frequency Response: 550 - 17KHz (depends on mounting surface)
- Impedance: 6.4 ohms@400Hz
- Max power: 50W max
- Resonant Frequency: 1KHz

The plate material is stainless steel if that's relevant. I'm currently powering it with a simple Behringer headphone amp, but the power supply is malfunctioning and I can't find a replacement so i'd like to try something more optimized for this particular transducer. I know my way around a soldering iron so a kit would be fine. I just don't know where to begin factoring in the impedance, max power, etc...

Any recommendations? This is one thought. Also, I am using simple piezo pickups to pick up the reverb if anyone has recommendations for how to amplify those. Currently just using one of my preamps.

And lastly, would this Radial Tank Driver (meant for spring reverbs) work for my plate with the Ghost and piezo set up?

Thanks all!

As for the speaker I would use a Class D power amp rated at 100w 8ohms from eBay or AliExpress. There’s already made units for cheap over there, there’s also kits in the same websites, but for the price I would prefer and already assembled unit.

As for the piezo pickups I would use a circuit with at least 5M to 10M input impedance. Google for “DIY Piezzo Circuit Buffer”, plenty of circuits and talk already outhere

Did you attach that transducer to the plate? I don't think you want 1lb attached to the plate. The ecoplate uses a driver where a lightweight pin is mounted to the plate and the coil is on the frame. The less mass attached to the plate the better.

Before attaching a transducer to the plate I would get it working with a external speaker. I almost always drive my ecoplate with a monitor hanging about a foot back from the plate. This sounds almost identical to the mounted transducer except less low end (which I usually don't want anyway).

I run the piezos to a high Z active DI. The location of the piezos matters a lot to the sound! You can spend a lot of time experimenting with a plate once it's 'done' being built! I have four mounted and each one sounds different. I usually mix them into a L-R but you do get some phase cancellation between them.

Back