advise preamp for ribbon mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MM7

Hi,
I've built ribbon mic. It sounds quite good (to me:) but requires to crank gain and volume to the top on any preamp I tried. this creates too much hiss. (I am going to re-ribbon it with sub-micron foil later, that should improve sensitivity, but still ...)

Could you please recommend a good (best) preamp (preferably with schematic available) for such very low input application.
I'd prefer a tube mic pre because:
a) I'd like to DIY it and tube schematics are usually simpler to build.
b) high input impedance

Just in case, if it helps, the mic has Lundahl trannie 1:37.

Thanks!

There are some circuits for a low gain [ 20 db ]  phantom powered pre-preamp
that brings it up to the output level of a condenser , prr here , posted one I believe
would allow you to use whatever pre you have & like

okgb said:
There are some circuits for a low gain [ 20 db ]  phantom powered pre-preamp
that brings it up to the output level of a condenser , prr here , posted one I believe
would allow you to use whatever pre you have & like

thanks, but I think that chain of 2 preamps will produce more distortions and noise than one solid preamp.

As much as the average condenser is noisy and distorts your preamp [ of which many have multiple gain stages ]
It's an easy cheaper idea , otherwise most high quality preamps are capable . I have the Great River MP-2 , no problems with
my ribbons ,  you could change the thread title to  " what preamps are people using for their ribbons ? "
Looks like you'll need to do some more of your own investigation .

okgb said:
As much as the average condenser is noisy and distorts your preamp [ of which many have multiple gain stages ]
It's an easy cheaper idea , otherwise most high quality preamps are capable . I have the Great River MP-2 , no problems with my ribbons ,  you could change the thread title to  " what preamps are people using for their ribbons ? "
Looks like you'll need to do some more of your own investigation .
What condensers do is irrelevant in my case, I will plug ribbon with good transformer that does not produce distortions.
I'll try to find pre-pre you are advising.

Great River MP-2 has too many details that is difficult to DIY.
Currently I am looking to build RCA OP-6 because of its famous gain (>80dB) and it is quite simple.

AEA one of the few optimized for ribbons , some of the blurt to guide you [ you can see it adds a 20db gain stage on the output ]

The AEA Ribbon Mic Preamplifier is an ultra high-gain and impedance, minimal-path FET mic pre . This low-noise two-channel preamp is for ribbon, moving coil, and tube microphones that do not use or want phantom power. This allows for improvements in minimal path circuitry and also rids the unit of phantom-power blocking capacitors. Zener diodes on the input protect the input stage if external phantom power is applied.

First stage gain is set from +6 to +63 dB by a 12 position Grayhill switch. Another 20dB of gain is available after the output level potentiometer. Polarity reversal and high pass switches on the two channels are complimented by operating and overload LED metering.

Electronics Specifications

•83 dB of gain
•-130 EIN noise figure
•-3 dB at 300 kH
•No phantom power, 18,000 ohms input impedance
•Green and Red LEDs indicates channel level
•Balanced XLR +4, and Unbalanced ¼ inch -10 outputs
External Features

•Switched Gain and Continuous Level Controls
•Phase reverse and high-pass switches
•Anodized gray and black matte finished aluminum
•Laser engraved legends and single line schematic
•External power supply for minimum noise
Dimensions

•Half-rack wide, one rack unit high (8.5" x 8.5" x 1.7")
•Weight: Two pounds, plus power supply is (1.5 lbs.)

Back