AKG C12 point to point build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TillM
Yes, I heard that the OPR ones should be pretty close to the original ones too. I think I will take whatever I can get my hands on more easily. Maybe even get a pair of both and try them out. Do have two C414 that could benefit from a brass capsule as well.
If bought two U47 and two C12 bodies from Flea about 15 years ago ...They promised me with the help when I will be able to build them... After I gather all the parts, they didn't want to hear about any help ... So I build them 6 years ago, after a few years of collecting internal photos of the C12... Attached is my drawing of the original C12 build which I think that is compatible with Flea and originals ... Unfortunately I didn't see C12 or U47 in real life, so I am not 100%... But that that drawing works for me... As for the Flea ... Will never buy anything from them ...
I would go with OPR route ... He is nice man...

In case you are interested I could send you a photos I did from the first day to the last day of the build ...

Attachments

• akg_c12_by_lampas.jpg
    akg_c12_by_lampas.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 282
@lampas
Oh I'm sorry to hear that they didn't provide any help in the end. I was messaging Ivan and he seems to be a nice guy.
The only reason I want to use the FLEA body is because it just looks so damn original and I love that. Even if it means that only the connector will cost a fortune....

Oh thanks for that drawing. I was checking out as many C12 pics in the last couple days and started to figure out the original wiring. So this definitely helps a lot.
If you want to share the pics I would love to take a look at them. Will definitely help with the build.

Little update

Flea mechanical kit and Moby T14/1 are ordered and should be here soon I hope. Parts for the PSU came in a couple of days ago, only missing the case and the PCBs here. Only got a order confirmation for the PCBs but no shipment info so far. Hope I can start building something soon.

I will provide some pics once more stuff is here and I start soldering :)

I built two C12’s using Matador boards and Chunger bodies. I used Tim’s Capsules and ordered my transformers directly from Haufe. I believe Moby also makes a tranny. I used his transformers for a pair of U67’s and couldn’t be happier. Love my C12 clones! Good luck!
Do you have the contact info for Haufe?

That does figure. I ordered a T-14 from AMI/ Tab. I'm installing it in a C12 VR. I have changed the tube for a NOS 1962 GE 5 star, (apparently the quality declined after 1963) installed Tim Campbell's CT-12 capsule, and got schematics from David Royer (super nice guy!) for his modifications in the circuitry for the amplifier and the power supply. Almost complete!

@TLRT
Looks amazing, great work. What output cap did you use?

@tomas.borgstrom
That's great to hear. Can't wait for the body to arrive here. Thanks for the wiring help offer! I'm happy for any help I can get.

@TLRT
Yes I read a lot about the importance of the right cap. I do have ordered some Russian made ones now. Finding a NOS Bosch or Siemens one would be great though.

I have many old MP caps,it is quite important in the sound.
Yes I read a lot about the importance of the right cap. I do have ordered some Russian made ones now. Finding a NOS Bosch or Siemens one would be great though.
Just out of interest, what makes the old MP capacitors so desirable? I understand that when restoring vintage microphones you want the same capacitors for visual reasons alone. This also has something to do with originality and value preservation, so it definitely makes sense.

For new builds, I see it more critically. I can't imagine that the old things sound so much better than current capacitors. I must admit, I have not yet made a comparison, so I have no experience of my own in this regard.

Therefore, I have now also bought a few Bosch and Siemens MP capacitors. 8 pieces for 4€ ;-)

What are your experiences with old MP capacitors? Do they really make a difference in sound?

I think no one will claim that these MP capacitors are worth so much, right?

https://reverb.com/au/item/45051592...mann-u47-u48-akg-c12-c24-telefunken-ela-m-251
PS: What values must these MP capacitors still show to be considered good?

Attachments

• 20220104_112823_compress57.jpg
    20220104_112823_compress57.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 146
@rock soderstrom
To be honest, I don't know if they really are better. I would say they are different. But so is one mic of the same type compared to the other. If I can find some that are reasonably priced I will try them and hear if I like them better than a new one.

PSU Parts arrived
Every day new parts show up at my doorstep. Finally the amazing looking analog vibes PSU cases and the PSU PCBs came and I started to build. Realised that I accidentally ordered the parts for revision 3 and not 4 though. Some resistors where changed and so I ordered some new parts. Hope they do came soon.
The male receptacle that is linked in the PSU case BOM is not fitting the case. The holes are only 36mm apart on the receptacle, but 40mm on the case. So that has to be ordered again too. Hope I got it right this time.
Once all parts are here I will finish the PCB and start wiring the thing and hopefully fire it up without flames and smoke :D

IMG_9287.jpgIMG_9284.jpgIMG_9283.jpg

@rock soderstrom
To be honest, I don't know if they really are better. I would say they are different. But so is one mic of the same type compared to the other. If I can find some that are reasonably priced I will try them and hear if I like them better than a new one.

PSU Parts arrived
Every day new parts show up at my doorstep. Finally the amazing looking analog vibes PSU cases and the PSU PCBs came and I started to build. Realised that I accidentally ordered the parts for revision 3 and not 4 though. Some resistors where changed and so I ordered some new parts. Hope they do came soon.
The male receptacle that is linked in the PSU case BOM is not fitting the case. The holes are only 36mm apart on the receptacle, but 40mm on the case. So that has to be ordered again too. Hope I got it right this time.
Once all parts are here I will finish the PCB and start wiring the thing and hopefully fire it up without flames and smoke :D

View attachment 88422View attachment 88423View attachment 88424
Hi, what kind of price would it be to build one like you´re doing with those parts?

Best/
Tom

@thakava
Well it is definitely not a cheap build if you want to make it right. For me aesthetics are a big thing when building stuff. So the body and the connector alone cost me approximately 1300€. Depending on the capsule and the tube, I think I will end up somewhere around 2700€ for one complete mic.

Back