AKG C3000B 5 min mod - Awesome mic!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That article has a link that doesn't work, to this article about the 4th version:

https://www.mixonline.com/news/harman-s-akg-relaunches-project-studio-line-condenser-mics-420979

It says "HARMAN’s AKG has revamped its Project Studio Line of condenser microphones, which AKG originally launched in the mid-1990s. The new designs of the C2000, C3000, C4000 and C4500 BC incorporate the edge-terminated capsule found in AKG’s premium line of mics, and maintain many of the technical aspects of the earlier models while offering AKG’s updated quality and design work."

This sort of suggests that the new C3000 has a different LDC capsule than the preceding ones, like the other article, but I don't see any information about what the earlier capsule was and whether it was similar or even identical. (Except that the first version had an additional SDC.)

The older C3000 are dual LDCs (cardio/hypercardio). The newer Harman ones are single LD electret ones. Not exactly the same. That's what I understood from some googling.

I guess I should open up the three C3000s I acquired, since I hope these are the older ones. If I only could remember where I have put them...

No time like now. Found them. Pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
So, Paul was right. It's a LDC with an SDC on top. Or is that an electret?

And, yes, pretty scruffy mics. Decades of live use tend to do that. But they're the first C3000, I think. And that's what I was after...

I may have missed it in seven pages of posts but does this mod or some similar mod apply to the original C3000s? I'd sure like to make the four I have into better mics. They are good but not great mics.

So, Paul was right. It's a LDC with an SDC on top. Or is that an electret?

And, yes, pretty scruffy mics. Decades of live use tend to do that. But they're the first C3000, I think. And that's what I was after...
The SDC is electret; don't know about the large capsule.

I don't know of anyone ever making a capsule that tiny that was externally polarized.

As was mentioned earlier, the large capsule is a fixed, single-diaphragm hypercardioid. The little electret is an omni. When in cardioid mode, the electret is combined with the LD at just sufficient level for it to null the out of phase rear lobe of the hyper, thus producing a cardioid pattern.

That's why most reviewers preferred the sound of the hyper pattern, because the little electret is then off.

Last edited:
I may have missed it in seven pages of posts but does this mod or some similar mod apply to the original C3000s? I'd sure like to make the four I have into better mics. They are good but not great mics.
"..They are good but not great mics.." ..Really? ..The original version? For me - but maybe it's just that I'm missing something - they're terrific: just listen to the audio of the mic here:

..in "an untreated room, on a porch, with reflective surfaces". The original AKG C3000, in hypercardioid mode, is a very INTIMATE sounding mic; a voice at 18" away sounds like it's 9" away, and a voice at 9" away - or replay - sounds as if it's inside your own head!

Here's a great track: "Don't Know Why", using 10x the (original) C3000..

Latest posts

Back