AKG D12 repair attempt...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are accusing others of misinformation, while at the same time you are exposing theories without any supporting evidence whatsoever.

As always, people can believe whatever they want. Some will repair on their own, some will go to the self proclaimed gurus.

I really resent posts like these. You obviously know nothing about PanMan. He's repaired several D12s for me. Even one that drove me crazy.

You probably won't believe me, but PanMan isn't a self-proclaimed guru. He is THE reference in D12 repair, also because he still has some original parts. Afaict, nobody else has parts, even remanufactured ones, let alone original parts.

Afaict, nobody else has parts, even remanufactured ones, let alone original parts.
I can guarantee you, you really can't tell.
Myself have a box full of all kind of D-series parts including NOS diaphragms.
I am sure many other people have you should avoid making this kind of short sighted assumptions.
How can we expect to believe your opinion as panman being THE one and only, with this kind of narrow view ?

This is a diy forum so expect people to tinker and discuss self made repairs.
You are welcome to send your microphones to panman if you can't fix them yourself.
But think for a moment, wouldn't it be crazy if in the gssl compressor thread people ask information how to build one, and they get told to buy from SSL because that's the only way to get it right ?
For some reason this thread has started as a diy tutorial kind of thing, and degenerated into a vibe of don't even try, only this guy can do it.
Maybe I was wrong panman is not self proclaimed guru, it's you guys that have elected him, and you want to make your limited experience universal law.

FWIW, I knew PanMan before I joined this forum. Not personally, I've never met him. I've sent out D12s to other repair services and had nothing but bad experiences with these.

There are two kinds of mic I'll never try to repair myself, that's the D12 and Sennheiser MKHs. Probably Neumann too, but these haven't crossed my path.

Pls. people, I think we should no longer take this post in this direction - noone will benefit from it. I hoped we stopped this before. Of course everyone is very welcome to try to repair anykind of microphone he/she want. Some might get lucky, some might not. I still insist: getting ANY D12 right could be a difficult task for some of us - and for some of us it won't. That's totally cool. And the ones that can't (me, @cyrano and a lot of other people) rely on @panman who really can fix ANY D12 and bring it into specs. As long as we're all happy in the end its cool! And of course: having NOS spare diaphragms would be a huge advantage. AFAIK panman doesn't have NOS diaphragms. He takes a heat air gun to bring them back to the correct shape. And this seems to me as a crazy piece of art. :)

So please let's get back to topic: to share ALL the best ideas to work on these mics to get them back to live!

How can we expect to believe your opinion as panman being THE one and only, with this kind of narrow view ?

You are a very disrespectful person.

Panman is the most experienced person and most successful person in the fixing D12 family of mics.

Like other people have said, Cyrano for example, I also tried all the other services available in the World for this kind of job and all of them failed.
While with Panman I'm already in my fifth very successful microphone repair.

This is a diy forum so expect people to tinker and discuss self made repairs.

You keep repeating yourself in subjects that were already discussed before.
For sure this is a DIY forum but people need to know that repariring dynamic capsules, diaphragms and coils work is not a task for the average DIYer, it’s very difficult to do and in the case of the D12 (and similar) you can damage a valuable mic for good while trying to do something that you have no experience whatsoever.
The coil wire melts easily, and the coil is easily damaged.
The diaphragm can be ripped or poked, or perforated easily also.
There’s a lot of sensitive parts in this work, so easy to destroy the capsule for good.

wouldn't it be crazy if in the gssl compressor thread people ask information how to build one, and they get told to buy from SSL because that's the only way to get it right ?

That’s complete nonsense.
The GSSL project is a relatively easy project to do.
Even if you damage any part while building it all the parts are readily available and easy to swap for a good one. There’s almost no risk involved

With a D12 capsule is far from it, damage the coil or the diaphragm and you’re gone.

GSSL - easy to do , no risk
D12 capsule repair - difficult to repair, a big risk involved

Making that ridiculous comparison and giving such public bad advice makes me really be sure that you don’t know anything that you’re talking about, if you had any experience whatsoever with the work involved in properly repair a D12 microphone you wouldn't for sure write such a comment.

For some reason this thread has started as a diy tutorial kind of thing, and degenerated into a vibe of don't even try, only this guy can do it.

You were the one that made it that way, people just advised Panman repair services, and you just started your own rant attacking him, when he was polite and could provide useful info and insights.
You could learn something here, but you decided not to and start arguments against a gentleman.

Maybe I was wrong panman is not self proclaimed guru, it's you guys that have elected him, and you want to make your limited experience universal law.

No one self proclaimed anything at all. That's your invention.
My best advice to anyone reading this thread in the present or in the future is that I highly recommend Panman services for D12 microphones repair,
and I also advise people to not trust anything you say on this matter.

I feel sorry for any person that might send you their D12 microphone

You are a very disrespectful person.

Panman is the most experienced person and most successful person in the fixing D12 family of mics.

Like other people have said, Cyrano for example, I also tried all the other services available in the World for this kind of job and all of them failed.
While with Panman I'm already in my fifth very successful microphone repair.
Am I disrespectful just because I am telling Cyrano he's wrong to assume nobody other than panman has D-series parts ?
This was a complete nonsense idea from Cyrano but you even go further, you even claim you have seen all the World.
These absurd propositions very much resume there is no substance behind your theories.
You are just extrapolating your personal experience and wanting the rest to believe the Earth is flat.

Whoops you are the one openly disrespecting me - while at the same time wrongly accusing me of being disrespectful just because I challenged absurd ideas.
This thread has been a resource for people wanting to repair their own microphones, it would be a shame if it gets locked because you want to come here and insult people and go on these personal attacks just because your very personal point of view is challenged.
Don't be so full of yourself, let the people who can do (or even just try with all the risks involved) and the rest are welcome to go to panman or whoever they want.

Last edited:
Back